Just want to check wiring on 2 port

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wanted to check the wiring on 2port valves,

so long as i connect live and neutral, the valve opens, (ie brown and blue), The Orange and Grey are effectivly in built switches to turn on something else - any voltage/current going through them would be whatever is put in at one end?

Sponsored Links
No

Blue is neutral
Grey is permanent live in
Brown is switch live in (from a programmer, for example)
Orange is switch live out (to a boiler, for example)

Yes

Grey and orange wires are connected to a microswitch
If you put 240 volts on grey, when valve fully open, 240 will appear on orange
If you put 1.5 volt in grey, that is what will be presented on orange when valve opens
If you connect your multimeter across grey and orange, you will see an open circuit until valve closes, when meter will show a short circuit
Switch may make before valve fully opened

If you connect your multimeter across grey and orange, you will see an open circuit until valve closes, when meter will show a short circuit
Are you sure about that?
Switch may make before valve fully opened
You are contradicting yourself.

Sponsored Links
Also remember that when operating the lever it only throws far enough to open the valve, it does not go far enough to actuate the micro switch.

Nozzle

Ops. Should read valve opens(n)
DH, when you read all the lines in my post, would you see the quoted line as a contradiction or mistype?

Just wanted to check the wiring on 2port valves,

so long as i connect live and neutral, the valve opens, (ie brown and blue), The Orange and Grey are effectivly in built switches to turn on something else - any voltage/current going through them would be whatever is put in at one end?

Yes that is all correct!

Two-port-Motorised-Zone-Valve.jpg

thanks for the responses, I would have wired a 2 port valve, but don't have a spare to try with!

Ops. Should read valve opens(n)
DH, when you read all the lines in my post, would you see the quoted line as a contradiction or mistype?
I quoted two part of your post. The first was incorrect - as you acknowledge above; the second was correct. This could have caused confusion to some readers.

"Open" is not a mistype of "close"; "chose" would be.

I quoted two part of your post. The first was incorrect - as you acknowledge above; the second was correct. This could have caused confusion to some readers.

"Open" is not a mistype of "close"; "chose" would be.
If there was a dislike button, I would have used that on above quote
Would you like me to do hundred lines 'I will read all my posts before posting?'

To confused readers, I apologise in advance for causing confusion :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back