Just what I need before Xmas!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Damn telly gone on the blink....
I've got a Toshiba ZP38 32in telly, only 3 years old.
Switched on this morning to be presented with sound but no watchable picture. Bottom third of screen is just black, with top two thirds just a mix of colours and white (a bit like interference) - no watchable images as such.
Thing cost a grand 3 years a go so defo need a repair, would be nice to have an idea what problem was before calling 'a man that can'.
Anyone with a bit of tv know how??

Cheers in advance :)

Sponsored Links
you have been unlucky Toshiba one of the more reliable manufacturers however from your description not a twiddle solution sounds like (if you have not had any spillage down the back) like chip failure not a diy job unfortunatly

Hi Dusty
If you look back on this forum to about 4th December I had exact same trouble. 3 1/2 year old DFS module U/S. Toshiba gave FREE the unit I only paid £59+vat labour. The set is now back & running well.
Exact same Model as yours it is a common fault evidently.
JonB

Thanks for your replies guys.
Had the man that can round today and he tapped the 'EDF' processor with his technical screwdriver handle (similar to 'the persuader' aka the hammer) and it temporarily regained picture.
Like you say JonB, he said it was a common fault with this model and has taken it away to fix.
How did you make your approach to Toshiba JonB? Was intending on writing to them to vent my displeasure, hoping for some kind of refund!

Thanks again, Nick

Sponsored Links
The first guy I phoned identified the problem. I then rang Comet for Toshiba`s number to get the number of an authorised Toshiba repairer, which happened to be York about 50 miles from me. they in turn collected the set the next day & confirmed the fault. They gave me the Number for Toshiba`s claims dept. which I rang I pointed out the fault & was ready to crawl a bit but no need She offered the part FREE of charge and posted it to the repairers that day.
The set is now runnig OK apart from sometimes it goes to 4--3 format from widescreen when you change channel.
JonB
I think the cost of the part is between £120 & £200

JonB.
Yep, the tv man played a blinder and got the tv returned for xmas eve :D
£80 incl. loan of a replacement whilst mine being fixed.
Will be contacting Toshiba to see what they have to say :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back