Country
United Kingdom
Breaking News

'No Deaths' In Passenger Plane Crash
Labour peer jailed for text driving

28 mins ago
ITN

* Print Story

A Labour life peer who was sending text messages while driving before colliding with another car and killing a man has been sentenced to 12 weeks in jail. Skip related content
Related photos / videos
Labour peer jailed for text driving

Lord Ahmed, 51, pleaded guilty to driving dangerously in the Christmas Day tragedy on the M1 near Rotherham, South Yorkshire, last year.

Lord Ahmed sent and received a series of five text messages while driving at 60mph in the dark along a 17-mile stretch of the motorway. His elderly mother and his wife were passengers in the car at the time.

Shortly afterwards he collided with an Audi which was stationary in the fast lane of the motorway after crashing into the central reservation.

Slovakian Martyn Gombar, 28, who was living in Leigh, Lancashire, died

Steve Smith, Lord Ahmed's solicitor, told an earlier hearing at Sheffield Magistrates Court that the peer, who suffered a very serious head injury in the crash, that nothing happened as a result of Lord Ahmed sending and receiving the text messages and stressed the fatal accident was unconnected.

He said: "This man is not responsible for any accident. What he is responsible for is stupidity. I say that because it is a word he has used himself."

The solicitor said that, despite being told otherwise, his client still felt responsible for Mr Gombar's death.

"He still walks within that shadow and I think he always will," he said.

Lord Ahmed, who has lived in Rotherham since childhood, has undertaken a number of high-profile roles, including negotiating with the president of Sudan to help secure the release of Liverpool teacher Gillian Gibbons.

In recent time two young women were jailed for 21 months and 3 years for texting prior to killing someone when driving how the hell can 12 weeks be right.

Sponsored Links
In recent time two young women were jailed for 21 months and 3 years for texting prior to killing someone when driving how the hell can 12 weeks be right.
Further, how the hell can 21 months and/or 3 years be right?

I agree, the sentences were not long enough for the "Girls" but by comparison, far more severe than Lord Ahmed's for what amounts to same offense.

I wonder what the justice minister thinks of the sentence. Will our man of straw ask for it to looked at by the courts of appeal :rolleyes:

But if he was not doing anything at the time why should he be punished.
Do we know the exact circumstances . Dark motorway car possibly sidewards on so no lights to warn on coming traffic.
He was ten mile under the limit so not speeding and how many people would expect a car to be stopped in the outside lane.

Sponsored Links
Tend to agree with you namsag - its difficult to comment without knowing all the facts but something seems a little odd with the circumstances - its was Christmas Day and was either morning or night as it was dark - why was he in the outside lane doing 60mph? I wouldn't expect that much traffic on the M1 at that time on Christmas day? I don't think i've ever done as low as 60mph in the outside lane unless in heavy traffic. If the Audi had already been involved in an accident, do we know that he wouldn't have died anyway from his injuries in the first accident? As you say, you wouldn't expect a stationary car in the outside lane so there is no way to say that even if he didn't own a mobile phone, this wouldn't have happened anyway? He's obviously got to be punished if its proved he was texting and driving at the same time but it would seem that this fact has little to do with the accident if he wasn't doing texting at the time?

A similar story with the lorry driver who killed 6 people.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7878605.stm

I saw a girl texting while driving today. I was in a second floor bedroom painting and she drove past the front of the house. Now if she finished texting and then had an accident and killed somebody 10 minutes down the road, what should she be charged with. :confused:

I have only been driving for 30+ years so I expect cars to be at a standstill on the motorway at anytime of day or night in all weathers. Oh and on any other road come to that. We should be in control of our vehicles at all times, when behind the wheel you cant influence how others drive and need to be ready to react instantly your life and the lives of others depend on it.

Texting while driving may also be acceptable to some but I would find it very difficult to either construct or read a text while driving so don't do it and of course its illegal. I agree it would be difficult to send a text while crashing :rolleyes: in all three case above a series of texts were sent and received prior to the crash, these exchanges may well have a continued had they not hit another vehicle.

The Portuguese lorry driver had been using a laptop in the moments before the crash no mention of at the time of.

Texting while driving is not acceptable (not to me anyway) you may as well be knitting. Your mind is not on the road or what else is happening.

The problem when prosecuting a potential texter after the event is proof.

Unless someone saw the driver texting and have an accident at the same time how do you prove it.

If a driver had been texting and then had an accident how can the prosecution join the two things together. Impossible without hard evidence.

theres no causality linking the use of text and the accident.

clearly it was discovered by investigating officers as a result of the accident, evidence left on the phone and record of times.
the judge himself said that.

while clearly it is an offence, the police would have no evidence supporting a dangerous driving charge, because they didnt catch him doing it.
had they, he would have recieved a much more severe sentence.

theres no causality linking the use of text and the accident.

clearly it was discovered by investigating officers as a result of the accident, evidence left on the phone and record of times.
the judge himself said that.

while clearly it is an offence, the police would have no evidence supporting a dangerous driving charge, because they didnt catch him doing it.
had they, he would have recieved a much more severe sentence.

He was convicted of dangerous driving by virtue of the fact he pleaded guilty to a charge of "dangerous driving" He could have been charged with death by dangerous driving but wasn't. If you fail to see stationary vehicles or people crossing carriageway ahead of you, you're clearly not paying attention.

Lord Ahmed of Rotherham was driving his Jaguar on Christmas Day when he was in collision with a car and its driver.

Martyn Gombar, 28, from Leigh, Greater Manchester, had been in another crash that had left his red Audi A4 facing the wrong way in the third lane.

He was hit by the Jaguar as he tried to return to his car, police said. Lord Ahmed said: "It was horrendous."

It may well have been horrendous for him but what of the victim and his family. Had one of "us" killed someone in a similar manor our arse would be grass.

Its good to know. asjton. that in your 30 years of driving you have never opened a can of coke and had a drink, light a fag, unwrapped and ate food or sweets , never fumbled while changing radio station or changing cassettes or CD`s. OR the one they say causes the most accidents , losing the nut with the kids or the wife.

A guy said quite few years ago . Let them without sin cast the first stone.

So put it into prespective things you would do as second nature could also be deemed as creating a danger

He was convicted of dangerous driving by virtue of the fact he pleaded guilty to a charge of "dangerous driving" He could have been charged with death by dangerous driving but wasn't. If you fail to see stationary vehicles or people crossing carriageway ahead of you, you're clearly not paying attention.

sorry yes i fully agree, other than the evidence from the phone they couldnt offer any vitnessed evidence of dangerous driving is what i meant.

Its good to know. asjton. that in your 30 years of driving you have never opened a can of coke and had a drink, light a fag, unwrapped and ate food or sweets , never fumbled while changing radio station or changing cassettes or CD`s. OR the one they say causes the most accidents , losing the nut with the kids or the wife.

A guy said quite few years ago . Let them without sin cast the first stone.

So put it into prespective things you would do as second nature could also be deemed as creating a danger

I tell you what I have done, LOST A FAMILY MEMBER "Paddy" was killed 9 weeks before his eighteenth birthday by someone driving without due care.

I drive expecting everyone else to drive like a complete **** because they usually are. I try not to endanger others but may not drive as well as I could all the time. I don't smoke or use the phone or computer, read a map or play with myself while driving.

You may be playing devils advocate, but I suspect you're defending the indefensible.
So forgive me for thinking your talking bo$$ocks again.

Im deeply sorry for your loss.
you must recognise that you cant equate all similar cases, with you personal tragedy.
this case revolved around two issues.
an offence of dangerous driving, but with no causal link to the second event, which was a strange event Im lead to believe.

however none of that will make you feel any better, anger is a natural reaction.

sorry

Sponsored Links
Back