Justice ?

Sponsored Links
Just as well the was no death penalty then.

We all know how opinionated people are on this forum ... Jury service is 10 times worse.

People get discharged or convicted based as much on the personalities in the jury room as the evidence presented.

MW

We all know how opinionated people are on this forum ... Jury service is 10 times worse.

People get discharged or convicted based as much on the personalities in the jury room as the evidence presented.

MW

Yup. It's like a theatre nowadays. As an example, an ex of mine who once did Jury service thought one of the solictors was 'cute' and funny. She got 'pally' with another female juror who thought the same. Subsequently, these two dozy bints were the only ones who 'voted' for the said solictors defendant. I would sooner toss a coin if it was me in the dock rather than trust the the judgement of your average joe.

Sponsored Links
I think another facet of court cases today is that they are technically complicated and many jurors simply don't have the capacity to make sense of it.

My mother was selected at 60 and found herself on a high profile eFraud case ... She didn't have a clue :LOL:

I asked her how she managed to reach a decision and she said that she had to vote not guilty as she didn't understand the barristers and didn't want to look stupid so she gave the accused the benefit of the doubt ... Priceless ;)

Professional jury?

A fact of life... 'He who pays the Piper, invariably calls the tune...'.

One person's take on the system and his conclusion, axe to grind for sure, but haven't they all? Click for Charles Earl
:rolleyes:

I've been on jury service several time. Most jurors are honest people who are doing their best to do their duty as citizens. There will always be a random assortment of idiots, simpletons and people with an axe to grind. If they are outnumbered by the sensible people they will tend to quieten down, but as the proportions are random, you are sometimes bound to get a majority of idiots :(

It is always helpful to elect a sensible Foreman, IMO preferably someone with practice at chairing committee meetings and who is also honest and doesn't try to bulldoze people.

Hint: If you're on a Jury and don't want to be elected foreman, don't wear a tie :LOL:

DNA 'match' in 1975 murder case...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/7058045.stm

See the final paragraph... The works of 12 good men and true, jury service is a very serious business not easy to eradicate doubt... 16 yrs for nothing.
:rolleyes:
The jury came to their verdict based on the evidence produced before them,with todays advancement of dna hopefully travesties of justice like this will not happen again,and when all probabilites of innocence are gone we can go back to hanging the murderous scum of this country.

The jury came to their verdict based on the evidence produced before them,with todays advancement of dna hopefully travesties of justice like this will not happen again,and when all probabilites of innocence are gone we can go back to hanging the murderous scum of this country.

Of course those probabilities will 'disappear' won't they?... :rolleyes:

But just in case, Let's hope our 'clerks' are better than 'theirs'!

Authorities are reviewing hundreds of DNA tests at the Las Vegas police forensics lab following the discovery of a clerical error that placed an innocent man in jail for nearly a year....

Lazaro Sotolusson was scheduled to be tried in two sexual assaults involving juvenile victims. Seemingly conclusive DNA evidence formed the heart of the prosecution's case, and Sotolusson faced multiple life terms if convicted.

But prosecutors dismissed the charges Wednesday, acknowledging that the police lab accidentally had placed Sotolusson's name on another man's DNA sample.

"The problem is someone typed in the wrong name," Assistant District Attorney J. Charles Thompson said.
Lucky the error was spotted after only a year's imprisonment, but how many errors won't be?...

and that's without taking the possibility of 'planted DNA' into the equation... ;)

Anything that involves human input is fallible...hence capital punishment should never return!

Of course those probabilities will 'disappear' won't they?... :rolleyes:

But just in case, Let's hope our 'clerks' are better than 'theirs'!

Authorities are reviewing hundreds of DNA tests at the Las Vegas police forensics lab following the discovery of a clerical error that placed an innocent man in jail for nearly a year....

Lazaro Sotolusson was scheduled to be tried in two sexual assaults involving juvenile victims. Seemingly conclusive DNA evidence formed the heart of the prosecution's case, and Sotolusson faced multiple life terms if convicted.

But prosecutors dismissed the charges Wednesday, acknowledging that the police lab accidentally had placed Sotolusson's name on another man's DNA sample.

"The problem is someone typed in the wrong name," Assistant District Attorney J. Charles Thompson said.
Lucky the error was spotted after only a year's imprisonment, but how many errors won't be?...

and that's without taking the possibility of 'planted DNA' into the equation... ;)

Anything that involves human input is fallible...hence capital punishment should never return!
Ok point taken but i'm sure there are cases where it will be 100% certain of who commited a murder.But how can justice seen to be done when we have the likes of that B*****D I Brady alive and still regulary mentioned in the press by his legal counsel telling us he his on hunger strike and being forced fed when he wants to die.Let him get on with it.Hanging done Fred West and Harold Shipman the world of good.

oompah said:
with todays advancement of dna...
Why not talk us through what you think that "advancement" comprises?

...when all probabilites of innocence are gone we can go back to hanging the murderous scum of this country.
Why do you consider it justice to kill a killer?

Who would you have kill the executioner?

More severe punishment and less reliance on incarceration is the way to reduce crime without burdoning the law-abiding tax payer IMO.

There aren't many more severe punishments than death (in a civilised society anyhow) :LOL:

And, if they need someone to pull the handle at the gallows I'd be happy to step up to the plate.

MW

Ok point taken but i'm sure there are cases where it will be 100% certain of who commited a murder.

But the point is - I'm not sure if there can ever be a case of 100% certain...

And what about the plethora of 'conspiracy theories' that surround cases that seem 'unbelievable' to some, or have the tiniest doubt attached?

Aside from that, I'm with softus here over the 'ultimate' penalty!

And also add - what benefit would it be to society, and ultimately the victim or victim's family?

Execution is ritualised murder to quell the baying masses for the revenge of society. We've not really moved on since the dark ages.

Sponsored Links
Back