K-Rend on Pebbledash?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a detached house built in 1920, solid brick walls, mock tudor timber cladding and pebbledash. Some of the rotten timbers need replacing and the pebbledash needs new paint, so I thought I'd modernise/simplify it by just doing coloured render right on top of the pebbledash, which is pretty solid as far as I can tell, not damaged or blown.

IMG-2669.jpg

IMG-2671.jpg

IMG-2672.jpg

Anyway, after some quick research I understand this is ill advised since the cement render is permeable and breathes, but the k-rend on top would not be, so there's the potential of moisture being trapped in between, as well as the extra weight of render, etc.

That being the case, what are good solutions for pebble-dashed houses like this? I don't want to strip it back to brickwork, as that would be overkill. I also don't want to overboard it with insulation cladding boards. If need be I'll just do what I originally intended and just re-paint the pebbledash. But is there a good solution for rendering over to a smooth finish?

Any advice very welcome. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
K rend have a help line you can call for advise.
Job I'm on just had plastic on the gable end timbers but not what you want.
Get replacement timbers and make good and paint this time around I guess. Get another 100 years out of it

Was chatting the other day to a chap who had the renders round.

There was quite a lot of patching up to do from windows they have moved/bricked up.

Consensus was the old render would have to come off, before they apply the new stuff, and they couldn't use the thin render stuff as the brickwork is too uneven, as it's been badly added to over the years etc.

Also the bill was over £14K for detached 4 bed.

Think I'd replace the rotting wood and repaint the dash.

Good luck(y)

Sponsored Links
A consensus! That was easy, and relatively cheaper than what I was looking at. I had the guy round who did a great job on the rendering, plaster and skim inside the house and he quoted me about £7k to k-rend outside, replace timbers, and even rebuild the front garden wall. The price was too good to refuse, but I think I will anyway. I think it'll cost me as much, if not more to do the same with just a coat of new paint, but maybe it's a safer bet? It's a shame as the pebbledash look is sooo old skool and I'm bored of it. Plus I've read it can knock £50k off the the resale price.

So the issue I now have is that the job is quite multi-skilled: some small repairs to cracks in the brickwork, removing, re-attaching and treating some new timbers, and finally cleaning and prepping the pebbledash before painting. What sort of firm should I approach for the work? Is it sufficient just to go to a painter and expect them to be able to cope, or more like a general builder? I'm in NW London, BTW.

Thanks all!

Job I'm on just had plastic on the gable end timbers but not what you want.
Get replacement timbers and make good and paint this time around I guess. Get another 100 years out of it

Yeah, I've seen that uPVC stuff, and it looks a bit naff if you ask me. What I might have done if the budget was there and I was replacing all the timber, would be to use the Tudor Board stuff which is really very authentic looking and will last a lifetime. However I'd be hesitant about mixing it with existing timber as it might stick out, but that said, the sample I have does blend in very well. Comes to about £70 for 3m though which is much more than treated softwood, and a bit more than hardwood:

https://tudorboard.com/prices/

I do have a lot of patch up work to do though and sealing around boards, so not a simple paint job:

13-04-2022-17-13-38.jpg

13-04-2022-17-15-15.jpg

I've read it can knock £50k off the the resale price.
no way is that pebble dash which is in good condition going to devalue your property by 50 grand, also your saying sand and cement render is breathable which its not i dont know what research you have been reading or told but you are completly wrong also some silicone renders such as k rend are breathable. You run the risk of devaluing your property if anything by putting another render over the top and it may not be successful if that was my house i would change the timbers making sure not to damage the existing render which looks like it was done properly and has been there for years

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back