Karndean Advice for prep & screeding on tongue &groo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am now ready to lay Karndean in my lounge and just have a few questions regarding the prep as I understand this is the most important part!.
I have already layed some in a box room to test and it looks great but does feel slightly un-even under-foot. This will be mainly due to using 4mm ply rather than 6mm but also I didnt screed this.

I have seen comments about screeding straight onto the base floor. Firstly is this possible with Tongue and groove floorboards and if so should I screed the floorboards, lay the 6mm ply and then screed again??

Also what is the best compound to use for screeding...do I go with the Karndean skim coat or should I use a latex screed down first. I have seen someone mention a feather finish compound (think by Artex?) - sorry for my ignorance - what is this and should I use it?

Sponsored Links
I am now ready to lay Karndean in my lounge and just have a few questions regarding the prep as I understand this is the most important part!.
I have already layed some in a box room to test and it looks great but does feel slightly un-even under-foot. This will be mainly due to using 4mm ply rather than 6mm but also I didnt screed this.

I have seen comments about screeding straight onto the base floor. Firstly is this possible with Tongue and groove floorboards and if so should I screed the floorboards, lay the 6mm ply and then screed again??

Also what is the best compound to use for screeding...do I go with the Karndean skim coat or should I use a latex screed down first. I have seen someone mention a feather finish compound (think by Artex?) - sorry for my ignorance - what is this and should I use it?

read the sticky on top of the page

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back