Karndean Flooring maiden voyage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've got some kardean(is that spelt right? :oops: ) flooring.
I'm nearing the end of refurbing the house.
Never laid this stuff before, done laminate find that quite easy and enjoyable.
I'll be screwing down all my current floorboards so creeks are hopefully stopped. Then laying down 6mm ply 2400x1200mm boards, these will be fixed by ring nails every 150mm aprox.
Then it comes to the sticky glue stuff, like I said total novice at this application.
So any tips would be kind plus is it best to do with skirts and archys on or off?
I have a hallway, kitchen and dining room to do, would like it to flow.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Hi,
i tackled my kitchen and new extension totalling 35 sqm. Got some good info from this forum AND a pro karndean fitter who helped me out with bits i wouldn't have even thought about.
YES as garrymum says some screeding over the board joins is adviseable.
The secret is in the prep (i'm sure that's a mantra on here anyway lol)
Once done i vacuumed cleaned the whole floor.
Then when it came to laying i use the karndean pressure sensitive adhesive, and made it hard work for myself as i spread it on with the correct karndean supplied spreader and in the rigt manner, but started to lay the boards within about 15 mins....!!
DON'T DO THS! You need to let the adhesive go tacky, otherwise the boards slide around and don't stick down straight away.
As i went on i realised i could spread adhesive to cover a good 5sqm (as a novice) and its working time was around 2 hours which made it a lot easier and quicker to do.
Word of warning; i spoke to Karndean and they said i could start laying boards within 10 mins of spreading the adhesive, bit its not a good idea, its still too wet, and tends to remain so for about 40 mins, or until it starts to go clear. I didn't spread it too thick either as my karndean fitter friend showed me and approved my technique :D
Took me a day and a half to totally finish, there were plenty of odd and angular cuts. but once i was shown a good method it was really easy.
I don't have any edging as my skirting is going to cover it.
My biggest problem was, that i didn't clean ALL the dried adhesive off asap.....boy did i pay the price for that later! :rolleyes:

Cheers Guys, I spoke to karndean man on phone. using acrylic adhesive never mention screed though.
Told them what I was up to, as I did originally when first ordered the stuff and I ordered what was recommended but no screed :confused:

It's Karndean, and I plan to put this in my kitchen, hallway and downstairs WC.

Oh, and I would very much like to hear how you get on. You have to chose some edging too...
I'm replacing all skirts, so will be sitting them back on top of flooring might need a bit of edge bead at outside doors but will tell you of my venture once started.

It's not actually screed that you need to go over the ply with but feather finish. This is a very thin skim and will give a smooth finish to any screw/nail holes and any joins in the ply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back