Keep old boiler or replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have just purchased a property which has an 11 year old Worchester 24 CDI combi located in a bedroom. The boiler has a full service history and in good working order.

I want to relocate the boiler into an eaves space (physical move only 3 feet to the left of current position).

I've had a couple of quotes for the work ranging from £420 - £650 + VAT.

Due to its age, would it make sense to keep the existing boiler or replace with a new model?

Do I spend money for the relocation and hope that I get problem free use of the Worchester for the next 3-5yrs or replace with a new model with less chance of failure?

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated?

olneys

Sponsored Links
when I replaced my old iron boiler with a new stainless one, the energy efficiency savings per year were calculated as 5% of the new installation cost. So it is not done to save money. Wait until there is some good reason to get a new boiler.

I dont think you are reading what he has said!

The last thing he needs is to have to have an old boiler repaired in his loft even if he has floorboards and lighting etc.

The 24cdi is a real pain to repair if the diverter valve fails. More of a pain in a loft!

Far better to have a modern condensing boiler fitted with up to 5 years warrantee and benefit by an improvement in efficiency of up to 12%.

Tony

Sponsored Links
are you on a sales drive Tony?

OP i have an open vented worcester 24CDi OF this so far has been in 3 different places and still as good as the day it was purchased' you will need a set of "O" rings as the jib to boiler fittings rings perish
yes the divertor valve is a nightmare to change but so long as there is room in front the boiler that is solid and the boiler is ideally over 18 inches off the floor(space to get to nuts etc.) you should be ok.

I dont advocate replacing a working boiler unless there is a very good reason.

However, I dont see any logic in moving an 11 year old boiler when the obvious solution is to fit a nice new condensing boiler and start saving about 10% on the gas bill.

Tony

I dont advocate replacing a working boiler unless there is a very good reason.

However, I dont see any logic in moving an 11 year old boiler when the obvious solution is to fit a nice new condensing boiler and start saving about 10% on the gas bill.

Tony

Absolutely,plus doubtful if you will get a flue for this boiler,sure this one is now on WB's discontinued list and of course the installation cost will be more or less the same so the OP would really only be paying extra for the boiler.

A similar one with flue would cost about £700 plus vat or even cheaper if the OP goes for a different manufacturer's boiler.

Everyone

Thanks for your thoughts on this subject, much appreciated.

I agree with tonybhoy, only real extra expense will be the boiler + the power flush.

A new boiler it is then.

cheers

olneys

I don't know what other fitters do, but I will charge more to move an existing boiler than to fit a new one. If I'm replacing a boiler then the old one gets ripped off the wall any old way in less than half an hour, you can double that if you have to remove it so it can go back. As for whether it will work properly if it's been disturbed is another question.

I don't know what other fitters do, but I will charge more to move an existing boiler than to fit a new one. If I'm replacing a boiler then the old one gets ripped off the wall any old way in less than half an hour, you can double that if you have to remove it so it can go back. As for whether it will work properly if it's been disturbed is another question.

I don't move them mate ,I refuse to quote.

Don't see the point ,more hassle than it's worth.

Tony.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back