which is the best combi boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there i am looking at buy a new combi- bolier, at the moment i have an isar 24 which over 5 years had to replace a pcb board, went looking yesterday i was told that the new isar logic is good , but was thinging of the worchester bosch or the valliant ones, all i want is a good boiler with plenty of hot water the old one is very slow to get a bath full etc any ideas please, tia andy

Sponsored Links
Imho I would say to go with Vaillant or Worcester over the Ideal.

Probably more important is the quality of the instalation.

Have you measured the flow rate of your incoming mains supply? If its low it could be why your hot is poor.

Andy.

For lots of hot water you need a bigger boiler not a 24kw boiler like you have.

If you ask about good boilers you will get many different answers.

The premium brands like worcester and vaillant are well know.
Don't like the worcesters myself I find them annoying over engineered boilers. The vaillants have solid good construction.

Glow worm ultracom is a good mid range boiler again go for 30kw minimum.

I personally like the Atag boilers.

At the more bargain end are Ravenheat 42kW combi that will give a fantastic water delivery rate and is very reasonably priced.

If you have the room go for a combi store that keeps a store of hot water ready to go and will easily fill a bath quickly. The store then needs
a little time to recover. But these boilers are more expensive.

For lots of hot water you need a bigger boiler not a 24kw boiler like you have.
Provided the boiler is correctly sized for the incoming flow rate, a bigger boiler will just give hotter water, it won't increase the flow rate.

Sponsored Links
That is not altogether true. The hot water temperature is limited to 60C, and a more powerful boiler can heat more water to the same temperature - as long as the cold water main can keep up with the required flowrate of all taps, hot and cold, which are open.

reference the flow rate i myself am not sure , the water preasure is round about the 2 mark, some of you guys do think much of the isar logic i no the one i seen was a 5-7 y part and lab on it, also looking at the ecoTEC plus 937 but rather get a few good ideas first

You need to establish your incoming dynamic cold water flow rate as well.

To do this:
Measure how long it takes to fill a jug, from a cold tap. Do this with another cold tap open elsewhere. Obviously note the volume of the jug, and long it takes to fill the jug, and report back to us.

Graham

With another tap open?

What exactly are you measuring then?

hi there with an other tap open to fill a 1lt jug i got roughly 00.07.8
What are the units?

That could be 7 hours eight minutes, 7 minutes 8 seconds or 7.8 seconds!

You will get a better result if you use a plastic bucket - they are usually marked in litres. Fill to the top (10 litre?) mark.

I'd personally install a Valliant over a Worcester for the reason that if/when there was a component failure Valliant boilers are far simpler to work on.

For example, replacing a passing PRV on a greenstar is beyond rediculus!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back