Keeping car off road temporarily without declaring a SORN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mrs is getting a new car next week and her old car runs out of MOT next week as well. Road Tax runs out in October. My plan was to keep the car (mot, taxed & insured) for use with my existing non ULEZ compliant 4x4....

For now the car will be on my drive without MOT, TAX and Insurance till I'm fully committed to my plan but I don't know the stance of DVLA on this.

Will not having an insurance on the car trigger a penalty immediately from DVLA?
Is it mandatory I declare a SORN or I'll face a penalty?

I used to have 2 cars up to 2019 till I went down to one. Any idea if some insurers still accept NCD from a 4 year old policy?. Othe option will be to move to an insurer with multi car policies

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'm pretty sure you'll need to SORN it to avoid automatic penalty for no road fund licence.
Maybe the MOT and insurance penalties are only applied if you're caught driving it.

But I'm not 100% sure.

I think 4 years of no insurance might be the limit of longevity for the NCD.

Ask, you might get some of the NCD anyway.

Up to 2 years if you want to be guaranteed of NCD

Some insurers will however extend it if you are a named driver on another persons policy.

I'm pretty sure you'll need to SORN it to avoid automatic penalty for no road fund licence.
Maybe the MOT and insurance penalties are only applied if you're caught driving it.

But I'm not 100% sure.

Ask, you might get some of the NCD anyway.

Road Tax expires 1st October. If that is the only automatic penalty then that a least gives me 2 weeks to sort MOT out. I may be wrong but I have a suspicion that only MOT is tied to Road tax renewal.

Sponsored Links
If the police catch you driving without insurance, tax and mot your vehicle hay well be crushed ……

Road Tax expires 1st October. If that is the only automatic penalty then that a least gives me 2 weeks to sort MOT out. I may be wrong but I have a suspicion that only MOT is tied to Road tax renewal.

I think you might find that you can’t re tax a car without insurance

sorn is definitely the thing to do and it’s easy to do. If there is tax still valid anything over a complete month should trigger an automatic refund

had to do this with my late brothers car a couple of years ago.

If it is not taxed you need to SORN.

For maximum economy, SORN it on the last calendar day of a month, and re-tax it on the first calendar day of some later month. Otherwise you will have to pay an entire month's tax. You can also do this if you are planning to sell it on the first. Let the new owner tax it. Otherwise you will both have to pay for the same month.

If you do not drive it on the road you do not need MOT and insurance.

Why don't you MoT it now?

road tax renewal is tied to current MOT date, i had MOT due 26th of month nd tax due 1st of nexrt month - and could not re-tax a few years ago , as the system flagged the MOT was due and would not let it go through- until MOT had gone through the system -thar was when it took a few days for the MOT to register then , now its instant , i had an MOT on my car in august and it was live the same day

i also think if not taxed , and not sorn you get some sort of reminder ........ but not 100% on that , i think i was told that would happen , rather than actually had the experiance

If the car is off road, it can be uninsured and no mot, even if road tax is live.
Of course you can't leave it on any public road if uninsured and/or drive it.
If it was insured you could park it on a public road even if mot had expired, but not drive it.

So from what I have gathered so far from all discussions, I have until end of this month to declare a SORN.

This gives me almost 2 weeks to get MOT done and decide if keeping or ditching the car.

It is easier to sell a car if it has a current, recent MoT

It is easier to sell a car if it has a current, recent MoT

Thought so as well. It needs 1 new tree and a drop link (from last year's advisory). If that's all the issues the I should be able to recoup all that back from sale

Sponsored Links
Back