Keeping Insulation and battens off external wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to install a stud wall and 100mm kingspan. It's an external wall with no cavity, so I don't want the wood or insulation touching the wall.

I was thinking to pack behind the battens with Pre-Galvanised Steel Horseshoe Shim 2mm Thick.

fastening to the top and bottom to create a floating structure isn't possible as it's a vaulted roof.

Do you guys think using metal shims is the right way to go?

Sponsored Links
Why? Thought the point with kingspan/celotex was the foil coating stopped damp transfer through it aslong as the joints are all taped correctly.

Posts suggest not to have battens touching wall due to thermal transfer and damp.

Sponsored Links
Complete waste of time. Your metal shim idea actually increases the risk of localised condensation.

You should be dealing with any thermal bridge by insulating over the battens as well as between.

You deal with risk of penetrating damp (if there is such a risk) by lining the face of the wall.

I was planning on battening with dp behind each batten, 100mm kingspan between, then a vapour barrier over the top before plasterboard...but that idea was poo pooed in another thread because it's an exterior wall.

If I do batten straight to the wall, would it be ok to use shims to make the battens plumb?

Things I have used. strips of lead folded to the correct thickness. Old pvc capit 9mm fascia cut into 2 inch squares
old pvc laminate normally 5mm thick. There is also a dry lining kit with plugs for the batons to sit on.

What about using these, for levelling up the battens?

What about using these, for levelling up the battens?

I used exactly these to batten my garage out. Each batten minimum 5mm off the wall. Also had the benefit of leaving room for existing electric cables already clipped to the walls. There were certain small areas where batten touching the wall was unavoidable, i.e., across concrete lintels sitting proud of the brick. In these areas I cut up pieces of DPM and inserted them between the batten and wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back