Keeping pipes from freezing in a garage

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by taz777, 8 Feb 2012.

1. taz777

taz777

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have a multitude of pipework in my part-intergal garage. Firstly, I have the new water mains feed terminating inside the garage. It is lagged and then this supplies water to the boiler and the rest of the house. There is a fair amount of pipework along three walls of the garage.

I have installed a wall-mounted 500W heater in the garage and set it to frost-protection mode (it should kick in below 5 degrees Celsius). All the pipes have a sponge-type lagging on them (it's around 10mm thick).

My combi boiler is also in the garage. I have no pipe-stat.

Should I do more to protect the pipework from freezing or have I got enough to see through temps of -10C ? I'd rather have more than I need rather than suffer a burst pipe!

2. PlumbGas

PlumbGas

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It sounds as though your pipes are well protected, the boiler should have a frost stat fitted this is always a good precaution

3. Sponsored Links
  4. HERTS P&D

HERTS P&D

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  5. TicklyT

TicklyT

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A frost 'stat for the boiler, and trace heating for the cold water pipes may be a viable alternative to running an electric heater just to keep the frost off.

6. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

7. Sponsored Links