Kerosene Genny

Thanks for all the very useful replies. I like the idea of converting to gasoil for heating but as my requirements for power are low I will probably finish up with a little petrol genny. For the benefit of BAS female genny is spelt jenny.

Sponsored Links
or sometime the female geni are spelt "****"

For the benefit of maltaron and anybody else who has never encountered languages other than English, not necessarily if it's short for Genevieve....

I think kerosene when compared with Octane C8H18 and Heptane C7H16 two of the Paraffin series it would lean too close to the Heptane side to run Genevieve without knocking or pre-ignition having a very low Octane rating.

I did like the mouth organ music though.

Sponsored Links
So did Larry Adler - they couldn't afford his fee, so against the strong advice from his manager he agreed to take a cut of the proceeds.

He didn't do quite as well as a certain Mr G.Lucas who bought the merchandising rights for Star Wars for a pittance because the studio didn't realise what "merchandising" could mean, but it was still a nice little earner for him.

give-me-beer.gif

I have a 5kva diesel generator with a Changfa Chinese engine.

Normally I would run this on standard pump DERV as it is difficult to get deliveries of 35 sec Gas Oil (red diesel) in small quantities. To this I add a diesel fuel conditioner (from Frost Auto Restoration) which extends its storage life to abt 2 years.

In an emergency it is possible to run the engine on 28 sec Kerosene (or even standard paraffin from the garden centre or hardware shop) with the addition of abt 10% motor lube oil and 1% of 2 stroke oil. (one is to increase the viscosity and the other is to enhance the lubricity missing from the additives in motor diesel fuel.)
It is possible to blend up to 25% of the cheapest vegetable oil (usually rapeseed oil from your supermarket) but be careful not to overdo it in cold weather otherwise is may gel or start to wax.
Vegetable oil will give you the required lubricity and the large proportion of Kerosene should prevent waxing unless the weather is really sub-zero.

Of course in an ideal world I would buy a Lister engined generator which will run on pretty near anything and forever.

I hope this may be of some help.

Kind regards

Much depends on the pump and injectors used. The Bedford wagons I worked on with the CAV DPA pump had to run on Diesel but same engine with Sims in line pump would run off all sorts.

I would try narrow boat pumps they sell both half tax and full tax and non taxed fuel.

BAS, I think that you will find that Genevieve ran on Petroleum Spirit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back