keston

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am renovating my house and I had in mind to install a Keston C36 Condensing Combi Boiler. Any good?

Thanks
Sara

Sponsored Links
The C36 has only been on the market a short time so there may not be much experience of it yet. The C25 has been around for years and has faults, so I would say only go for the C36 if it has a particular advantage over the competition, such as the flexibility of the flueing.

Thanks very much for you suggestion :eek:
Would you recomend a brand that in your experience has given good results?

sara21 said:
Thanks very much for you suggestion :eek:
Would you recomend a brand that in your experience has given good results?

Not seen the C36 in action but think its based on the C25 design.

Each installer will have their own preferred makes. Suggest you look at the usual suspects - glowworm, vaillant.. or if you have a slightly higher budget then Atag or Viessmann.

Sponsored Links
This discussion makes me wonder who is going to instal it?

The quality of the installation is often more relevant to the reliability than the make of boiler.

Tony

The C36 is absolutely NOT related to the C25 Celsius! It just happens to be made by the same company!
The electronics, burner / heat exchanger design and internal layout are COMPLETELY different (and better, IMHO). And it's a combi, while the C25 is a system boiler.

I've installed several and have not found any significant faults. So far, my tally is one pressure switch and one PCB, both fixed under warranty, and a dodgy pin in a connector which had everyone fooled for a while!

As far as I'm concerned, the C36 does what it says on the box and seems to suffer only from the same problems as other combis, notably a tendency to blockage of the secondary heat exchanger due to crud from the radiators. I always fit a Magnaclean - problem solved.

It also comes with weather compensation built-in - but not a lot of people know that (or indeed, what it is!).

Weather compensation enables a small and what should be a cheap external sensor to be connected to the boiler.

When its colder outside the boiler gives a higher flow temperature to the heating and conversely lower when its warmer. This greatly increases the efficiency by allowing the boiler to be condensing for more of the time.

Dont know about the C36 but some controllers delay the heating on time when its warm outside.

Tony Glazier

Actually, the C36 (unlike the C40 and C55) has a fixed series of temperature curves from which one is selected to set the CH flow temperature relative to the outside temperature.

As Tony suggests, the external sensor is cheap (£20-odd) and apart from needing to be on a North-facing wall, is simple to fit.

The nice thing about weather-comp on a combi is that you don't need to worry about hot water temperature. With other systems with a common Flow to both rads and the HW cylinder, weather comp is much more difficult to provide, since the Flow temp while HW recovery is in progress needs to be at least 65 degrees for a reasonable recovery time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back