Kettle rated at 3.1kw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just bought a new fast-boil kettle advertised as 3.1kw. The plate underneath actually specifies a range with 3100w being the higher value. Does this mean the 13a fuse supplied with the plug could be liable to blow?

Cheers for your time

Sponsored Links
With immersion heaters you usually have multiple ratings depending on the supply voltage... Does your kettle say

"3100W @240V, 2850W @230V"

Or something similar?

Even at 240V you are just under 13A.

3.1kw at 230v is 13.48 amps. This will not blow a 13 amp fuse and is perfectly safe as a kettle is a short term load.

However, it should be borne in mind that a double socket outlet is only rated at 13 amps TOTAL (not per plug), so I personally would avoid plugging your kettle into a double socket with a microwave/toaster or anything else of high wattage. This is probably over-cautious as again they are short term loads but you don't know the make and quality of your socket outlets.

Note to self : Remove Quality Assurance label from rating plate before posting a message! :rolleyes:

On closer inspection the rating plate actually states:
230-240 volts ~ 50-60Hz watts 2850-3100

On the other issue raised by ninebob, I have always had my kettle plugged into the spare socket on the cooker switch, is this recommended?

Sponsored Links
In a domestic dwelling, diversity to this point has been accounted for. If it overloads, your cooker MCB/fuse should go.

Let's hope it's not been accounted for too aggressively - 5A is what's allowable for the socket on a CCU...

DagenhamDave said:
On closer inspection the rating plate actually states:
230-240 volts ~ 50-60Hz watts 2850-3100

Who's your daddy? Eh? :LOL:

I'm just chuffed cos I got Ohm's law right this time ;)

ban-all-sheds said:
Let's hope it's not been accounted for too aggressively - 5A is what's allowable for the socket on a CCU...

What about when it is being used solely for the socket, i.e. the oven (and electric hob) is off? Surely a socket being supplied by 6 or 10mm2 cable will be fine for 13A?

and anyway its widely known that the cooker diversity rules usually end up giving a figure far lower than any decent sparky would use

plugwash said:
and anyway its widely known that the cooker diversity rules usually end up giving a figure far lower than any decent sparky would use
I thought that all a sparky (or rather, his apprentice) needed was a kettle to make his tea and one ring to fry the bacon for his butty?

Sniff,sniff, drool!

Oh, I have to remember I'm veggie. Still, Bacon & Beef were my favourites, BV.

Crispy bacon, soft white roll & tom sauce...

Silverside steak (pref Scottish), rare, with new pots & carrots & butter.

Yum!

No securespark, don't do it! Stay with the Quorn! Quorn good, bacon evil!

:LOL:

I'm a veggie too :D When my kitchen fitters arrive they're getting Quorn sandwiches and broccoli quiche mwahahahahaha

You'll be getting a badly fitted kitchen, then...

If they're doing any electrical work, don't forget to ask them if they are registered with the NICEIC Domestic Installer scheme, and if not ask them what electrical qualifications they have, and insist that you want an installation certificate covering what they do.

Thanks for that, I will be sure to check. With this week's 'events' (see my previous topics) I'll be checking them out thoroughly. I already did it before I booked them, but now I'm a little distrusting! They said we're getting installation certificates for both the electrical and gas work and everything seems legit, but I'll be double-checking!

I wish I'd found this site before I booked my kitchen. Although 'Which? Online' review B&Q as pretty decent (which is why I went with them), the overall opinion from professionals on this site doesn't seem to favour them too highly! B*gg*r.

"Hindsight is always 20-20. But looking back, it's still a bit fuzzy" (Megadeth) :LOL:

most sparkys i know have seen huge numbers of bodges by kitchen fitters

i wouldn't advise letting any kitchen fiting firm near electrics without evidence that the people to do that work have at least some electrical qualifications

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back