Key not turning in UPVC door lock - outside only

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I wondered if anyone can give me some advice? The lock on the outside of my UPVC door has become very difficult to turn. It gets stuck in position and won't turn or will turn slightly to the right (when unlocked so wrong direction). Lock seems to click as if key isn't releasing it properly. After a lot of attempts, we can usually get it locked.

This is only from the outside. The lock works fine when looking/unlocking from the inside. The catches all seem to be lined up well and the door doesn't need lifting into position. The handle lifts up before locking as usual (though recently I manage to lock it after pulling handle back down, but this didn't work yesterday).

Is there some maintenance or repair that I can be do? I'm a bit stuck at most advice I've found seems to be about the door position but I don't think that's the issue here and the lock is working from one side.

Many thanks, Emma

Sponsored Links
Sounds like your Euro cylinder is on its way out. Do you have another PVC door that you could swap the lock from to test it?

If so they are easy to change here is a guide:
http://www.handlestore.com/blog/measuring-a-euro-cylinder-lock-barrel/

Once you know it is definitely the cylinder you can get a replacement. You can get cheap ones for around £5 but I would recommend getting a secure one like an ABS which are about £40.

Sponsored Links
I agree with gazman16. I would however first try giving it a spray with something like gt85. Do not use wd40 as this may temporarily fix the issue but will cause a build up in the keyway. If that does work you know that it is the cylinder that is causing the issue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back