keyboard problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all.the dog trod on my daughters laptop earlier,and since then some of the keys don't seem to work properly,it's an advent,the keys affected have dual function, letters are in white, digits and symbols are in blue and are as follows, u/4 , i/5 , o/6 , p/- , j/1 , k/2 , l/3 , ;/+ , m/0 , when typing,the blue numbers and symbols appear instead of letters,if i type the letters,u i o p j k l m, they appear like this, 4 5 6 - 1 2 3 0.the same thing happens with caps lock on or off,for the keys to work normally,i have to hold a down a key in the bottom left corner with Fn written on it.this key is also in blue.thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Pressing F12 & the Num lock / Scroll lock key beside it toggles the FN lock on and off on some laptops. They must be pressed at the same time, not one at a time.

Another combination is Ctrl-Shift-NumLk

dave

Is numlock off? There may be a litte 1 lit up on the laptop somewhere. Hold down the FN key and then press the one with blue numlock on it.

Other than that, not too sure.

Sponsored Links
Glad to hear that you got it sorted.

As "the dog trod on my daughters laptop", I assume that it was on the floor being used at the time. If so, it is a practice that is not recommended.
Whether on a wooden floor or a carpet, the cooling system will suck up more dust and fluff than a Dyson, which will result in either it shutting down every few minutes because of over heating or it will cook the PSU and CPU if the cutout fails.

dave

hi dave, just read a reply of yours in general discussions,re:pet hates,i agree and apologize if i was one of them,your suggestions didn't work,but were better idea's than i'd had.

chrisj78 had the answer,which was to hold down the fn key(first key,bottom row) and press the blue numlk key(last but one key,top row,assuming we are counting from left to right).hope that clears up any confusion as to the solution to this particular problem,once again thanks for your help.

Thought it may have been that combination to sort it. The edit I posted after digging a bit deeper, was for just that; Fn + Num Lck.

Thanks for letting us know, and it wasn't this thread I was getting at, because our offerings were very similar and only took a couple of seconds to try. It was more the download, install and run special software programs for major infections and suchlike. These can tie someone up for an hour or more and if it fails after that time, to cure a problem, then they think we are nuts and won't take any further advice from us. If we know something didn't work, we can cross it off the list of suggestions to offer someone else with the same problem.

dave ;)

Sponsored Links
Back