Kia Ceed 1.6 CRDI

R

Ringy123

Hi guys just looking into buying a 2007 Kia Ceed crdi 1.6 diesel. Just wondering are they a reliable car and what are they like on fuel consumption. Kia dealer is also prepared to give me 1 years warranty also. So just doing some research.

Any advice

Sponsored Links
Sorry I can't comment on the diesel version but I do look after two petrol Ceed's of the same vintage.
Although they can't be classed as a class leading car, they are well built and reliable. They are easy to maintain and are completely conventional regarding brakes etc (Bosch design with disc/drum set up on the rear.)
Do check for heavy oily dirt deposits around the injectors but if you are happy with the price etc I think I'd go for it - assuming that its had the requisite oil changes and the like.
John :)

Good solid dealer, or X Renault?

Full stamped service history and guaranteed mileage. Get the warranty on paper 12 months is a far time for word of mouth to be forgotten. You probably will have to use them for servicing to keep the warranty valid?

Sponsored Links
I'm never sure quite what to believe Peter - I don't have particularly heavy feet, and the car mpg hardly ever varies, either on a slow run or a motorway thrash. I haven't done any brimming tank calculations though.
Either way, I'm not complaining - 50+ mpg sounds ok to me!

I to am sceptical John but can get in excess of the quoted figures but I do drive like a grandad - well I am, I rarely exceed 60 mph or 2000 rpm, I only use my brakes when absolutely essential and will let the car slow down going up a hill rather than increase the throttle opening - I hear a chorus of 'boring' but I am more interested in comfort than speed now,, hence the Citroens.

The 2.1td XM estates that I ran for over 15 years would regularly return in excess of 50mpg on our annual north of Scotland trips but that 2.1 is probably the best IDI engine ever made, very smooth and better consumption than the 1.9. The official figure for 2.1 was I believe 38mpg, I don't think I ever got mine below 40mpg

A couple of years ago I averaged 67.8 over 680 miles in the 406 Hdi estate and I have the read out to prove it, well over 1000 miles on a tankful.

There probably are not many people that drive like me but it shows what can be attained by careful driving, diesels will reward you for this more than petrol engines.

I developed this driving style when I was working and covering around 30k miles per year, I found it so much more relaxing.

Peter

Its a bit ironic Peter that todays diesels need a good thrash to clean out the DPF if fitted......defeats the object somehow!
I'll still stick with diesels but I just can't deal with such nonsense like coded injectors and the like, and I'm no fan of the dual mass flywheel - even though they work brilliantly (until they fly apart!)
A friend has a BMW thats just ingested the flaps in the inlet tract, too :eek:

I think the best engine is the 8 valve Hdi PSA, John, no DPF no coded injectors or anything much else, cheap road tax and very reliable, both of mine have the original clutches and DMFs as far as I know and are both at around 200k. Sadly they only made them until about 04.

The 1.6 that replaced it would be OK if the oil was changed about twice as often as scheduled, although it does have a DPF they don't seem to give much trouble.

Peter

I must say I am quite impressed with the 1.6 Peter - a sprightly unit with very clean emissions.
You are so right about the oil though - turbo failures seem to be the norm.
Not really surprising considering the tiny size of the thing and where it is!

There is apparently a filter in the oil supply pipe to the turbo that gets clogged when the oil is dirty, the normal procedure is apparently to throw it away when you fit a replacement turbo which seemingly prevents it from failing again. Have not had any experience of this myself but it sounds about right John.

Peter

If the Kia Cee'd 1.6 crdi is anything like Hyundai's 1.6 crdi which I think it is then it's an extreamly reliable engine! The fleet of Hyundai's we have (all 1.6 crdi's) get absolutely hammered (999 response vehicles ;) ) & I can't think of any problems we have with the actual engine! The rest of the car is abit cheap & meh but the engine is solid :)

Only 1 issue we do have is lack of power due to blocked fuel filter, change it & away you go again!

Sponsored Links
Back