Kia Picanto occasional starting problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wife has a Picanto and it has been a pretty good car but for one annoying problem: very infrequently say 3 or 4 times a month it takes quite a long time to fire up. It doesn't matter if the engine is hot or cold, it may take up to a minute of turning it over until it starts. The dealer said he could find nothing in the log of the computer so has been unable to do anything. It hasn't got any worse over time and because it happens so infrequently it is difficult to diagnose. Has anyone come across this before?

Sponsored Links
Hey. I have a similar problem with mine (58 plate). I haven't tried turning it over for a minute though.. always goes on 3rd try. It started out random would go 2 months fine then it would happen 3 times a week. now it's once a day. I'm flogging it to we buy any car so haven't bothered repairing it. I think its flooding the engine as exhaust fumes are black when it finally does start. I had same problem on my (06 plate). just wouldnt start.. No solution I'm affraid, just thought I'd share :p

Cheers

Spence

Wife has a Picanto and it has been a pretty good car but for one annoying problem: very infrequently say 3 or 4 times a month it takes quite a long time to fire up. It doesn't matter if the engine is hot or cold, it may take up to a minute of turning it over until it starts. The dealer said he could find nothing in the log of the computer so has been unable to do anything. It hasn't got any worse over time and because it happens so infrequently it is difficult to diagnose. Has anyone come across this before?

Hi Surefire, My Picanto has the same problem! Developed it a few months ago, at about 65000 kms (from what I can make out other people experienced this problem earlier in the car's life). Now I'm at a loss, as notthing shows up on the diagnostics at the agent's, they just charge for not finding anything wrong. Of course one should also stay out of dodgy areas for in case the car won't start, which can be quite unsafe. Have you been able to find any solution?

I'd go for a new coolant temperature sensor personally....cheap enough and a fault here wouldn't necessarily show up on a diagnostic check.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I'd go for a new coolant temperature sensor personally....cheap enough and a fault here wouldn't necessarily show up on a diagnostic check.
John :)

Gee Thanks, this is something I will get the technician to do for me.

Just bought a second hand Kia Picanto - 5 years old, low mileage, seems very tidy - full service history. But it's started being a bugger to start sometimes. Takes 3 or 4 attempts, engine turns over for a while then eventually catches.

Any more clues before I subject it (and my wallet) to the local dealership?

Thanks

hi guys , got a customers in with same probs, spoke to a good mate in kia parts, seem the picanto has a common fault and they sell/fit loads, ...the ariel around the ignition key breaks down intermitantly. £25 from kia, or £60 fitted, so im guessin not codeing in, its realy easy to fit, (just a philips screw driver) ill update when its proven. cheers, jR.:cool:

hi guys , got a customers in with same probs, spoke to a good mate in kia parts, seem the picanto has a common fault and they sell/fit loads, ...the ariel around the ignition key breaks down intermitantly. £25 from kia, or £60 fitted, so im guessin not codeing in, its realy easy to fit, (just a philips screw driver) ill update when its proven. cheers, jR.:cool:
...update part fitted NO CODEING REQUIRED, and the car is now spot on . cheers, jR.

Just bought a second hand Kia Picanto - 5 years old, low mileage, seems very tidy - full service history. But it's started being a b*****r to start sometimes. Takes 3 or 4 attempts, engine turns over for a while then eventually catches.

Any more clues before I subject it (and my wallet) to the local dealership?

Thanks
. see my update mate, mine was the ariel around the key. easy job to do . £25 part from kia . cheers. julian.

Thank you guys for this. After replacing the crank oilseal on my wife's 05 automatic. I found it would start about 1in5 turns of the key! After seeing these posts a friend at work took out the imobilisor aerial coil cleaned the contacts & put it back for me. Starts 10/10 over the last month! Worth a try! Thanks again.

Had a similar problem on a Kia Picanto 2009 where it would occasionally turn over but fail to start. It could occur several times in a row and then go a week without occurring.

On turning the ignition if the immobiliser light (car with key symbol inside on bottom right of dashboard) didn't come on, then the car would turn over but not start.

Instructions here

It's manufacturer's part number is 9544017050 and available off eBay from Korea for around £15. It seems to be used on Hyundai cars too.

The thread below on a different forum suggests that it's best to solder the connections. It would be interesting to confirm if the failure mode is contamination of the contacts or a different reason.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/getz-forum/115289-immobilizer-fault.html#post2931186

Had a similar problem on my wife's 2010 Picanto 1. Starter would turn but engine wouldn't catch fire at random intervals. The immobiliser light wasn't lit up so this proved that the problem was related to this. Eventually it wouldn't start at all. Ordered the Immo-Assembly-Coil from Kia dealership (£30 inc VAT), took an hour to replace and problem was sorted. Thank-you to all those that contributed. One are of improvement to the video is that you don't need to insert pins to remove the spade connector from the loom connecter. Just remove the retainer tab (as stated on video) and prize open the relevant plastic that sits on top of the spade connector. Refitting is reverse of this.

Sponsored Links
Back