kidd oil boilers...

Sponsored Links
Yes, they are goodas long as you have the space for one.
They work the same as any condensing boiler with a secondary heat exchanger. Built like a battleship, and as long as they are serviced regularly they last a lifetime.

They look like something you would be executed with. Apart from that the only time I enquired I found them rather rude.

Yes, they are goodas long as you have the space for one.
They work the same as any condensing boiler with a secondary heat exchanger. Built like a battleship, and as long as they are serviced regularly they last a lifetime.

Got the space, gave them a call today, was an interesting experience. See like bloody good bits of kit.

Anything to look out for? My only issue is that I don't need 260,000btu, about half that would do....

Sponsored Links
Does archie kidd even have a website?
I heard the MI's were like a scrumpeled up newspaper that would be more suitable with a fish supper wrapped inside.

Was certain archie kidd made forage harvesters...
http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Kidd
Click on the Rotaflail manufacturers plate to see his details.

Mebbe he was a big dumb farm boy turned boiler maker eh?

He's been making them for many, many, years. The style hasn't changed, and with the efficiencies they achieve, why do they need to?
They have some sharp edges to watch out for, but as long as they are serviced regularly and the condense drains kept clear, then they give sterling service. I particularly like the clean out door in the bottom of the combustion chamber so that you can get rid of all the crud.
They come range rated and I service some that only take a .75 nozzle, so at their efficiency, that equates to around 100,000 BThU in old money.
The M.I's may come as duplicated sheets, but as long as they are complete and concise, why does that matter?

So he's no relation to Archie Kidd the farm machinery manufacturer?
No website then. Either that or googles down again. :LOL:

The MI's must be typed out on one off the old style type writers also.

Kidd boilers are very much the relation of Kidd Machinery. The late Mr A Kidd was the inventor and owner of both.

He was a fellow of the Institute of Electrical Engineers and also a fellow of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers.

He was building belt driven wind farms in the 50s and the designing and patenting the World's first self steering railway bogie in the 60s. Oh yes, and he ran the multi million pound turnover agricultural machinery company bearing his name (sold to Wolseley Group in the mid 70s).

His son, Adam, runs Archie Kidd Thermal Ltd. This was a hobby project for his dad who was concerned about needless energy wastage when the Pottertons of this World were still designing 60% efficient boilers.

I have been a great fan of the product and have installed a fair few gas and oil versions over the last 14 years.

And I have one in my house (of course).

You won't find a web site for Kidd because Mr Kidd junior doesn't believe in them (!), mine is probably the next best thing. It is fair to say that Mr Kidd is one of the UK's eccentrics - but I mean that in a nice way.

Thanks for that.
I've used his equipment many times in the past. Was thinking it too much of a coincidence.
Agricultural engineers are well under rated.

Can you get them now though?

I spoke to someone (his wife I think) last year and she said he was only interested in maintain the stock that is out there.

I wanted one made up for about 275000btu and was told it wouldn't happen.

Mr Kidd says that he has 'put the plans in the drawer' but can get them out when he pleases. He always speaks cryptically.

The gas versions were ceased a couple of years back because he would have problems getting SEDBUK A (as the test regime does not favour the design of the Kidd VHE), and he was getting cross with the costs of continually having to pay the testing houses for approvals for every derivative of the gas versions.

Also there are now issues fitting new EUp approved pumps inside the boiler casing, the heat kills the electronics. Sometimes good things are lost in the quest for progress.

OOh well. My grant will have to do. :(

I'll bet Archie junior has amassed enough wealth from the dung spreaders to be able to put the plans in the drawer.

Don't suppose you could swipe me a copy for the oil boilers? :D

Slightly stupid question.........

I need about 100,000btu from an oil boiler. Would using a kidd 260vhe just be pointless?

Yes. From my understanding of oil, and I'm happy to be corrected, the last thing you want is an oversized boiler.

Would be interested in any literature too. My email is in my profile.

Cheers.

Hello Dan and Norcon

Unfortunately the MIs are not in an electronic format (Mr Kidd doesn't believe etc) and are partially handwritten. I've got reams of them in my van, but it would take an age to scan them all, if my scanner was working.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back