Kids Playframe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm planning on building a kids playframe based on the attached picture. I've guessed what size timber I should need as shown in pic. Does anyone have any comments on whether my timber sizes are ok for the spans, or any other comments (constructive critisisms welcome). Could someone advise me, i'm not sure whether to concrete in the 4x4 posts or use post support bracket and bolt them onto a concrete pad. Also, should I use stainless steel bolts or those green ones? Also which size should I use, M10? and if anyone knows where to get cheap bolts suitable for this project i'd be very grateful. Also, which timber (tanalised green or tanalised brown) or something else. Also please let me know if i'm bonkers attempting this and should just buy one. I've priced up something like this which would cost around £1200. I reckon I could make this for a fraction of the price (correct me if i'm wrong). Any comments welcome.
Many thanks,
Andrew.

Sponsored Links
This structure seems to be largely self supporting - maybe with the exception of the RH swing legs which I think could benefit from 4x3" beams......therefore there wouldn't be any great need to concrete the posts in - just bolt them down with sockets/brackets etc.
For bolts, use A2 stainless (Screwfix or similar) - if you cant get the length you need then studding is available.
With these sections I'd go for 12mm bolts, coach head for easy self assembly, and over engineered for that 'sleep at night' factor.
Tanalised timber is required, but its often rough and subject to spelks etc.
I don't know about building this at a fraction of the sale price - you may well be surprised at the end cost - you will save a fair bit but it'll take some time too.....lets hear what the others have to say.
There's no hand rail for the steps, but this may be splitting hairs.
Presumably this is for use by your own family?
John :)

Hi Andrew, as a parent myself of three boys i'd say good on ya... however, from my experience of building and making things for them, weigh up the amount of effort you put in plus the cost versus the amount of time they'll spend on it.

I'd consider buying a huge trampoline, and a set of goalposts instead.. or if you have girls make a simple stage or something.

But your great contraption will pale into insignificance at most local parks and especially places like adventurezone and other such theme parks..

Just to offer the counter argument... good luck though in whatever you do,,,

Hi,
Thanks Burnerman for the advice on the components required. I've had tanalised (3"x2") from a local builder merchant's for another project and was suprised how smooth and rounded it was. When ordering the timber i'll order it in person from the merchants to try and get the same quality. I guess there will be the odd light sanding in places required over the odd spelk, especially over the handrails. The playframe is for my 2 sons 7 & 4 years old and was hoping to build it before the end of term but this rubbish weather put paid to that. The plan needs some other details added but i'll do that as I go along. such as handrails as you mention.I have some 28mm aluminium tubing from a mangled caravan awning which are perfect for the monkey bars so should keep the cost down marginally.
imamartian, i appreciate your comments, I agree, my kids sound like yours as in they get fed up with something so quickly and it will be prettty dissapointing if it turns into a flash in the pan. I'm actually looking forward to building it, it's the design and deciding fixings etc which is the headache. We already have a 10ft trampoline, they've had it a year and is losing it's appeal a lilttle, saying that we haven't exactly had the weather for trampolining. I think i'm going to go all out and build it the most child fun friendly possible in the vain hope that the novelty won't subside too quickly.
Cheers,
Andrew.

Sponsored Links
you got 6 x 2 joists supporting a small platform, but only 4 x4 for the main beam on the swings ?

suggest you make it 6 x 4 (145 x 90 ) easily done by using polyurathene glue and some screws.

Theres a company called blue rabbit that do the accessories or look on e-bay

looks pretty good to me .

good luck

Hi Fencer35,

Yes I see what you mean. Slight mistake there, i'm thinking of 6x2 on the side where the bridges start. Off this 6x2 I will have joist hangers supporting the 5x2 bridges. It's not clear on the pic but there's 2 bridges, the rope bridge supporting a 5x2 to walk on, and behind that there's a standard walk bridge. But yes, besides the 6x2 supporting the bridges, 4 or 5x2 will be plenty? Are you saying 6x4 for the swing beam? I would have thought 4x4 would be sufficiant (correct me if i'm wrong), I was thinking of buying one of those metal 'A' frame brackets which hold the 4x4's together, another £25 to the expense though. Would you just use polyurathene glue and some screws for this instead?
Cheers,
Andrew.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back