Kilcreggan bricks problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
some help please!!!!

has anyone out there used Kilcreggan bricks. I've been told that theses brick are usually resistance white efflorescence's coming through.

We have had a retaining wall build about 3 foot high and 13fts long, and the same again on the adjacent wall and both are really shows the white marking.

It's been over a year and despite the builder cleaning with a mid acid it's still comes through.

He is now offering to rebuild using the same brick which will be supplied by the supplier and I hope someone out there could help with advice

thanks for your time

novice in need of a wiser sage

Sponsored Links
Different bricks have different salt contents. Some will not be suitable for certain types of use ie; retaining walls where there may be a build up of moisture.

Rebuild it in the same bricks at your peril.

And for what its worth, unless you specified that it should be a low salt content brick or something to that effect, it is certainly not his responsibility to rebuild it at his own cost.

Efflorescence ratings can be provided for most bricks by the manufacturer. However this is rarely considered by either brickies or homeowners.

If you supplied the bricks and the bricky has simply been paid to lay them, then tough luck. The bricky has no influence over efflorescent bloom. Similarly, if the bricky was asked by you to match existing masonry then he has done as requested.

As a builder who is responsible for just about everything to do with a building, I do make a point of discussing efflorescence and pointing out that some bricks are more vulnerable than others. However, i do also point out that i have no control over it other than ensuring the bricks and masonry are kept as dry as we can.

As said, retaining walls are particularly susceptible to efflorescent bloom.

Sponsored Links
limerockconstruction";p="2916763 said:
And for what its worth, unless you specified that it should be a low salt content brick or something to that effect, it is certainly not his responsibility to rebuild it at his own cost.

many thanks for your speedy reply, would you know of a low salt brick ?

noseall";p="2916942 said:
Efflorescence ratings can be provided for most bricks by the manufacturer. However this is rarely considered by either brickies or homeowners.

If you supplied the bricks and the bricky has simply been paid to lay them, then tough luck. The bricky has no influence over efflorescent bloom. Similarly, if the bricky was asked by you to match existing masonry then he has done as requested.

As a builder who is responsible for just about everything to do with a building, I do make a point of discussing efflorescence and pointing out that some bricks are more vulnerable than others. However, i do also point out that i have no control over it other than ensuring the bricks and masonry are kept as dry as we can.

Hi

thanks for the speedy and helpful reply. the builder recommended these bricks as there where more expensive and better quality and would be a longer lasting brick.

Was hoping you could recommend a low salt brick

again thanks ]
lesm6604
As said, retaining walls are particularly susceptible to efflorescent bloom.

Better bricks may well mean a higher content of natural material in them, hence the salt! Your best bet would be to go in to your local merchants and have a chat with them, the thing is you will largely be driven by what matched up with the rest of your house / garden I imagine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back