kill a tree before removal next summer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I've got an ash tree that's around 10m tall and I plan to slowly cut down bit by bit next year. I'm a bit too busy at the moment and don't fancy doing it over the winter months, so plan to remove it in the spring. I had a lot of problems with cutting down a similar tree last year, and found it took ages and left me exhausted for days. I figure if it's dead, it will be easier and I won't have to try and kill it afterwards, as it is bound to be putting shoots up soon after. Better if the sap doesn't rise in the spring and make sawing the branches a lot easier.

I imagine I need to drill into it, so what would be the best kind of drill bit to use? Would an auger do it? How long/fat should it be? 300mm and 22mm wide? How about a flat spade bit? would that be better? Bearing in mind the wood is living and so is relatively wet inside the tree

What should I pour into any hole?

any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I've tied to scrape some bark off with an axe and chisel on the previous one and it was quite difficult to do as the wood is thick, rough and irregular surface. gave up after a patch, and it needs to be wide and all round the tree to work, and then it slows growth rather than kills the thing. (Nightmares about endless shoots popping up everywhere!)

I thought by killing it with holes and chemicals of some sort now, it would give them longer to work and make sure of things. I could confidently, and easily hack away at it in the spring. I've got a reasonably powerful sds drill, so thought just buy a long wood auger bit and pour something in. Afterall, I'd probably have to do it after chopping it down anyway. Suppose I'm dithering, but thought someone might have done it with good results.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
all the life is just under the bark on any woody plant so if you cut 12mm into the tree all round i would think that will stop growth
i think its called ring barking or something similar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girdling[/QUOTE]

is that the same sort of thing i see around where i assume the council contractors have marked out a tree for cutting down?

learn summit everyday dont ya.

Ringing....cutting the bark all the way round, cuts off circulation through the bark to the tree....tree dies.

find chainsaws a bit scary (quite attached to my limbs!) and don't plan on digging a stump out. Thought I could kill it first and then next spring take a bow saw to it -layer by layer and then get the final stump as close to the ground as possible. I'll then leave it and plant around the stump. Killing it would make cutting easier as no sap and wood will weaken and dry a bit. Also, no knew shoots appearing all over the place.

I think a 300mm 25mm auger would make a decent hole without jamming. I could then pour something strong and nasty into it!

Chainsaws are harmless enough, as long as they're treated with a little respect they don't bite you in the face.

I'll admit, digging out a stump is hard graft, but the most effective way to make sure its out.
That way you won't be continually having to 're-kill' the tree or plan things around it.

Having ran out of sensible suggestions I suggest killing it with fire, lots of fire(!) :evil: *

*insert liability disclaimer here...

ive heard of peeps drilling into the stump and filling with used engine oil.this then rots the tree roots etc.
but no doubt contaminates the surrounding ground?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back