Killing Stingy Nettles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What can I pour or spray on these nettles to kill them off please? Do I need to cut them back first. I would appreciate any product recommendations.

I am having new turf put in and wanted to treat these first.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• nettles.png
    nettles.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 285
Sponsored Links
I used to pull them out with the roots still attached.

Found Roundup works very well around our garden/ paths but be careful not to contaminate the soil if you're planting grass afterwards!.

Any glyphosate weedkiller should do the job just fine, takes a couple of weeks to start to die off and doesn't contaminate the soil.

Another vote for generic glyphosate. Follow the instructions with respect to dose/application rate and PPE. There's no benefit to overdosing especially with something as easy as nettles (broad leaf = plenty of absorption). If they've started to seed though, the seedlings, once they have broad leaves, will need spraying again.

Spray on a windless day. Use a rain-radar website to determine if there is rain on the way in the next few hours - if there is, don't bother. This weed killer works by being absorbed through leaves, not roots. It takes a week or so to appear to start working as it starves the plant of food. If you're deprived of food, you can last a while too

Nozzle

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
sign of good soil too. why don't you make em into nettle soup it's nicer than it sounds (but obviously don't spray them first :LOL:)

Thought that picture was taken from my back garden for a moment then! We had the same problem when we moved in nearly 3 years ago. I asked the farmer if I could cut them back occasionally and he said no problem as he doesn't harvest that close to the fence. Out came the lawn mower and they were cut as close to the ground as possible. Next two layers of weed control and then some cheap false turf was laid over the lot. Didn't 'professionally lay the turf but made sure edges were tight and joints staggered a bit. Now it looks as though the grass continues into the field and 4' out there is a grass border that one of the farm hands comes and trims down 3-4 times during the summer. Cooperation and happiness all round.

Mow them! 2 or 3 mowings will stop them growing and grass will replace them quickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back