Kindly help recommend car light bulbs

ih

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi car is kia soul 8 year old with original bulbs and i think they are (dimming) less light there is very little
Night driving i think they are h4 need help to identify replacement which are legal so no modifications etc
Are led bulbs ok? Are they legal? Or do i stick with halogen ? Make with detail will be appreciated thanking in advance

Sponsored Links
Having exactly the same groan as yourself, I fitted some Ring Xenon H4's, claimed to give an extra 150% more light.
They are better but still not as good as I'd hoped. A few years back I experimented with LED bulb replacements but these were even worse.
Any valuable comments I'd be pleased to hear!
John :)

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: ih
I have a 2015 Cee'd which uses H7s. I have replaced my bulbs with Osram Nightbreakers (also available in H4). Other manufacturers also make high-output bulbs.

• Thanks
Uprated bulbs are OK but they don't last long. Not sure how they calculate their % brightness increase. I was thinking today if it's my eyes that don't work as well in the dark, now I'm 64.

Sponsored Links
I've found that putting in new bulbs to replace old ones makes an improvement. Also cleaning the "glass." If it's plastic and has gone dull you can polish it up with toothpaste or metal polish (acrylic polishes are also made).

• Thanks
Have you tried also switching on the front "driving" /fog. lights ? (if fitted ) that's what I do on our Vaux. Corsa(y)

• Thanks
Acetelyne, freddie. Joe Lucas, King of the road;)

• Thanks
Nigel F good idea when i am driving but regreat not so for her! Agree new bulbs will light better but
I need to get a fix on which ones!

Auto Express did a test of uprated bulbs , you may find it on their website. Philips, Osram or Ring will do the job at a fair price. Keep the old bulbs for spares

• Thanks
If you replace both your bulbs with non standard then presumably you'll then have to replace with like for like or they'll not match any more?

• Thanks
Back in 2009 we bought a new Golf with bog standard halogen lights. Before delivery I joined a Golf forum and some were talking about bulb changes to improve lighting. I bought a selection of bulbs from our supplier and tried them out on a car using our MOT headlamp tester which measured the light output. You’d be surprised at the results. Things may have moved on since then but here’s a post I did on it at the time. http://www.turbosport.co.uk/showthread.php?t=151363

You could try these at £175 a pair but they’re currently not road legal! https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/philips-x-treme-ultinon-led-headlamp-h7

Last edited:
If you replace both your bulbs with non standard then presumably you'll then have to replace with like for like or they'll not match any more?
Yes, but in an emergency non-matching bulbs are better than driving with one headlight until you can get new bulbs

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Sponsored Links
Back