Kingfisher 2 RS 50b - any direct replacement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house has got Potterton Kingfisher rs50b boiler installed. There is nothing wrong with it, but everyone advise us to replace is with something more modern. Boiler is installed in the cupboard under the sink (well, next to the sink) and the survey man advised that if we want anything modern, due to size, he would have to move it on the wall next to the door, which would be quite expensive (he said that it would cost min £1k upwards just to move it, plus labor to install it and cost of boiler). He summed it up to about £3k (roughly).
One of my colleagues advised that there might modern boilers that fits within the space and footprint of my Kingfisher, that can be installed without need of moving installation (min £1k less). I guess that existing fluke can be readjusted as our wall is really thin and pipes are easy accessible.
I would really appreciate your view on this and if this is reasonable any models that can easily replace Kingfisher 2.

Also one of my colleagues will be upgrading his system. I think it’s a 3-4 year old Glowworm which is too small for his 4 bed house. This is a fully working boiler (just had a service done) and is relatively new...and he said that I could have it for free. What about installation of the second hand boilers? The Corgi guy that visited us didn’t want to hear about it, as a second hand boilers are “unsafe”, but certainly it’s safer than our old boiler and had been tested more regularly than ours (previous owners did one inspection and no service in 10 years time...) and I am fully aware that I would have to cover any cost of repair if required. Is it really that big “no no” or does it just need a proper service before start up?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
New Floor standing boiler are almost as rare as hen's teeth! But Ideal still make one, it's the Mexico HE.

Worcester Bosch now do a floor stander as well. Might also be worth a look.
Plenty of wall mounted boilers available, so why not remove the old boiler, make good the old flue hole and wall mount the new boiler. Alter the system pipework to suit.
You don't say whether your system is gravity hot water and pumped CH, or is already fully pumped.

Thanks for your replies.
I'm not an expert, but this is what I know:
1. Boiler is floor standing and it fully fills one cupboard.
2. There's only big window above it, so no chance to move it there.
3. The only reasonable place is the wall next to garden door and this would cost additional £1k
4. System has got a tank in the loft and there's no expansion vessel so it must be unpressurised system.
5. There is a hot water tank (copper insulated) and a pump installed next to the boiler. Pump only feeds hot water from the boiler to tank / CH.

I'm not sure that new boiler has to be floor standing, because as long as it's fits within the cupboard and can be legally installed, I am happy.

What about power? Mine is 14kW. Don't I need a special fluke if new boiler is "bigger"

Sponsored Links
You give us very little info regarding your second hand boiler.
To be frank, I would get 3 quotes from reputable firms and listen to them and disregard all the advice from your colleagues.
Only a site visit would give you accurate info.

From what I remember, he's hot a Glowworm condensing boiler, I think its the hxi. I don't know the rating but it's slightly too small for his 4 bed house.
Boiler is 3 or 4 years old, much better than ours.

I would definitely check that it can be fitted in my house and I don't want to fit something unsafe on not feasible, but before I can even check that I would like to know if a second hand boiler can be fitted if in working condition and safe.

Don't you have an airing cupboard the new boiler could go into, or a loft? The kitchen is not the only place you can site a boiler.

As said get 3 quotes in. as for installing a second hand appliance, in my opinion it could be false economy as there is no warranty, so it could be removed from your friends, installed in your house and fail to work, so you now have potential extra costs.

Mike

If there's nothing wrong with the Potterton it'll take you a long time to recoup the cost of a new boiler/installation from the (slight) savings achieved by a HE boiler over a SE version.

Personally i'd keep the Potty until its no longer economic or possible to repair.

[/quote]2. There's only big window above it, so no chance to move it there.
Hope that's not an open-able window you may have flue problems with your old boiler let alone the new one.

More info on G/W and window.

michele5041 – yes, there are other places to fit the boiler, but it all cost money (£1000 extra to move it the the next available spot).
4 year old boiler can be a lottery, but then is my Potterton any more reliable?
Hugh Jaleak – I guess you’re right. Our gas bill will be ca 50-70 month, so even with 30% savings, it will take years and years to recoup one expense. If there would be a chance to fit a second hand (rather new) boiler in the same footprint for ca £1, then it’s worth the hassle and risk.
spareshunter – the big window is not openable, apart from the small top section (which I keep closed anyway)

After some discussions with my wife we decided to leave it alone and focus on house insulation (cavity walls, thin wall sections, loft, garage etc). I can do it myself and it will give is similar savings without need to spend a lot of money in one go.
Because of the location of the flue and terminal (ca 50cm above ground level in our garden with easy access for my daughter to reach and burn her hand and to fumes), we decided to save some money and in some time get something new and install it in our loft.

One more question, more electrical than gas. I have noticed that previous owners had some modifications done to electrical system, but we have not seen any certificates yet (we are still waiting for our house documentation from solicitors). We know that electrical system needs to be updated (mainly old consumer panel) so we will have to call electrician some time soon.
If this modification was done by kitchen installation company and is still not certified by electrician, can this be assessed by electrician afterwards and certified?

If this modification was done by kitchen installation company and is still not certified by electrician, can this be assessed by electrician afterwards and certified?

If you want it checking to find out if it is safe and complies with regulations, then yes.
If it wasn't notified to building control and you want that doing - no.

If the electrics were done by a kitchen installer, you can be 99% sure they will be a load of rubbish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back