Kink in gas pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Plumber noticed a kink in the lead pipe bend coming from the gas meter and suggested it will be a problem. It’s a very old lead pipe and been like that for a long time I reckon. Would it concern anyone?

79E0F712-9705-44FF-B95C-BFBDDBB88FDF.png

Sponsored Links
I've seen just under a trillion others just like that. No dramas. It's a fairly easy swap in any case. Good time to get a smart meter fitted. (y)

I can’t see any kinks, as long as it’s not leaking and the gas flow rate is fine, then it’s acceptable.

Mine was like that, surprising how much gas it'll let through, as I never had an issue, with a boiler and gas cooker running off the supply. National Grid (Cadent now), finally agreed to change it after a lot of arguing and chasing about (by me) when the Smart Meter fitter refused to change the meter. In the end I got the pipework, ECV and Governor changed, never did have them back to change the meters

Sponsored Links
if that's indoors the distributor prefer all pipework that's not isolatable to be outside. I can see a little pipework before the ECV that's inside. So you could get the whole lot moved outside for free if you make a fuss.
Our neighbour got the pavement and drive dug up and a new meter outside, together with new gas pipes to the appliances (the original complaint was the hob went out when the boiler kicked in) and all that for free. And it was apparently the consumer carcass that was undersized or blocked causing the issue anyway.

So you could get the whole lot moved outside for free if you make a fuss
A fuss to cadent? I have similar indoors and was quoted 1k to move it to the other side of the wall (to be outside)

What fuss would you suggest making?

A fuss to cadent? I have similar indoors and was quoted 1k to move it to the other side of the wall (to be outside)

Likewise, they refused to do anything with mine 'until it starts leaking' initially, it took a lot of arguing over the Smart Meter issue before they reluctantly agreed to change the lead piping, never mind the rest of it.

I still have a steel service coming into the house under the floor, before terminating in the ECV in the understairs cupboard, they 'think' the service wasn't replaced for whatever reason when the main was replaced with plastic some years ago, and they wont do it retrospectively unless they have to.

I don't know, whatever fuss you can think of!
All i know is what happened with my neighbour, and it was all picked up by an annual boiler service.

Perhaps there was another issue with the incoming supply, but as far as the householder knew it was their own pipe buried in screed with an issue, and so the solution suggested was for the supplier to move everything and repipe at their cost, because they don't like indoor meters.
The new meter was connected back into the main under the pavement, and the old tee was dug up and capped off.

if that's indoors the distributor prefer all pipework that's not isolatable to be outside. I can see a little pipework before the ECV that's inside. So you could get the whole lot moved outside for free if you make a fuss.
Our neighbour got the pavement and drive dug up and a new meter outside, together with new gas pipes to the appliances (the original complaint was the hob went out when the boiler kicked in) and all that for free. And it was apparently the consumer carcass that was undersized or blocked causing the issue anyway.
Cadent are not that gullible even if you fuss them out of the park. If it's their fault they fix it. If you want summat moving then you pay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back