Kitchen Appliances - Guidance before I get a pro to fit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Gents.

Just joined and have read with great interest all about appliance installations.

I am about to start fitting a new kitchen with all new appliances and a change from Gas to Electric. I 'believe' I know what is required and I will be using a professional to do the wiring in of the new appliances but I am interested to know if I have the right idea (so I don't get fobbed off).

I have checked the Consumer Unit and there are 2 spare/unused slots with blanking plates over them so I have no worries there. The distance from the Consumer Unit to the appliances is a maximum of 4 metres of cabling, and there are no thermal insulation issues.

Appliances as follows:

Combination Microwave/Oven - rated @ 3.6Kw
Oven - rated @ 2.9Kw
Hob - rated @ 6.8 Kw

The Microwave & Oven are to go into a tower unit and I expect these to both be served from a 32A MCB to a Control Unit to an Outlet Box and then to both appliances, using 6mm cable all the way through.

The Hob I expect to be on a separate 40A MCB to a Control Unit to an Outlet Box and then to th appliance, using 10mm cable all the way through.

There is also a Cooker Hood, which will run from a fused spur from the ring.

Does all this sound about right.

Sponsored Links
If you want the microwave & oven & a 13A outlet, that is 9490W, or 41.26A at 230V.

I know you can use diversity, but if you want to allow for flc, that is the figure. A bit much for 6mm², plus you may want to allow for expansion.

I suppose it all comes down to whether you want a CCU or not.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that.

Not too fussed about a socket as there are already plenty of sockets in the kitched, on the existing ring main.

Would you suggest that 10mm cable was used for the Microwave & Oven install?

By the way, wasn't George Michael caught 'doing it wrong' lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back