Kitchen cabinet hinge off, whats the best way to repair ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The kitchen cabinet door is off.
The wood is out of the threads as they left it until i came out.
Whats the sturdiest way to repair?

2.jpg

85f2f0e1-09af-4cfb-9a9f-686b1693b26d.jpg

Sponsored Links
AS it's against the wall a slightly thicker longer wood screw right thru the side would hold it.

Sponsored Links
They'd snapped the door back.
Original screw (small) and thick screw used shown.
Thick screw did the job very securely.
Thick screws were unused part of fire door closer pack.
Great screws
IMG_20170922_140047.jpg

I get the idea this is a rental.

You might consider using 170 degree hinges, which will allow the door to go further without damage, especially if the door is in a position where people can bump into it when they walk by. I use narrow, double doors to avoid that (e.g. two 300mm doors on a 600mm wall cab).

And maybe some kind of limiter? A piece of string?

John, thanks. Good ideas.
Door had definitely been opened way too far, pulling out the hinge.
May have been exacerbated by the door being closed against the large toblerone shown, putting a leveraging moment on the top hinge. Bottom hinge screw seating is ok.
The plasterwork had evidence of the door being squashed against the plaster corner when I saw it this morning. Lots of plaster flakes about the kitchen counter top.
Unit is mounted very slightly back, may be 1 - 2mm (more or less) from the wall that the door opens out against. Interestingly the lower hinge was more or less fine. I needed only to adjust that hinge to bring the line of the closed door in line with the cabinet line.

An adjustable 170 hinge would help if it came out just enough to let the door swing all the way round without the plasterwork leveraging the hinge. May be something like this?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/soft-close-clip-on-concealed-hinges-165-35mm-2-pack/10084
One reviewer says they stick out "2 inches" so they might just give enough play to get around the corner.
Or this .. www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pie-Cut-Corner-Hinges-Set-Kitchen-Concealed-corner-Cabinet-Bi-Fold-Doors-Lids-/281732718994?var=&hash=item4198942192:m:muA31iRjrjo32Omm642d2eA

I don't know about a bit of string, thought it's a good idea.
May be there is some sort of more solid metal limiter that can be fitted to the top of the cupboard that just won't let it open too far.
I searched screwfix and toolstation sites and saw nothing obvious so far.
Here's something i've found. Have to wait to get back in there for next time
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-100Nm-Hafele-Gas-Struts-Springs-Kitchen-Cupboard-Cabinets-Door-Lid-Stay-/142332819077?hash=item2123b27685:g:hbcAAOSwc-tY31iy

I see what you mean about using 2 of 300mm doors, rather than 1 of 600mm door. Great idea. I'm going to stick with the doors in place for now as they are Ok.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back