Kitchen cabinet - hinge replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20201022_200302951.jpg IMG_20201022_200320759.jpg IMG_20201022_200335144.jpg

Hinge failed last week - door now hanging off bottom hinge). New kitchen being installed next year, so for now we need a stop-gap solution. The door itself (melamine-faced MDF) is 490mm wide and 550mm tall (533mm without the trim), so seemingly not a standard size that can be easily replaced. And they don't appear to make hinges to this design anymore.

Could we buy some other type of hinge and mount it higher/lower than the existing hinge? If so, what hinge would be best? I have a drill with bits for wood.

Sponsored Links
1) unscrew the other hinge and take the door completely off
Do it now
Or you will wrench out the remaining hinge

2) Buy a "kitchen cabinet hinge repair plate" and fit it as directed. Buy some new Euroscrews with it. You will need a drill and a screwdriver. You can get them in ebay or in DIY shops. You need the type with the large hole for the hinge. I expect it is 35mm. edit - these do not currently seem to be on ebay The ones to repair the cabinet side are much more common.

3) better, buy several repair plates. You'll soon be needing them.

I see nothing in your hinge to suggest that a modern one can't be used. A modern hinge usually has two supplementary screws to hold it steady, and you can use builders glue to hold the 35mm plug in the damaged hole.

kitchenHinge.jpg

Edit
you can also get a lay-on kitchen hinge, which does not need the 35mm hole. Fit it to the door while the door is on the table, it is much harder to hold it in position while drilling.

KitchenHingeLayOn.jpg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back