Kitchen Circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently moved house and found that the entire house (4 bed detached) including an extension, kitchen including all appliances, oven and integrated microwave was all on a single 32A ring main. The wiring in the kitchen is frankly, a mess, and I'm looking to tidy some of it whilst I'm doing some other work.

I took the oven and microwave off the ring main as I replaced these with two single ovens, and put each onto a dedicated 16A radial. I'm now pondering what to do with the remainder of the kitchen.

There is an induction hob which I'm planning to run a new 32A feed for. The current hob is running on a 13A plug however it's likely I may want to replace the hob with one requiring a 32A circuit at some point so I'd rather do the work now.

What would be recommended for all my appliances? There's an integrated fridge, freezer and dishwasher, and a freestanding washing machine and tumble dryer along with two double sockets which I need to do something with as well. A 20A radial doesn't really feel sufficient for all those appliances so I was thinking of a 32A ring as I don't especially want to install dedicated radials for everything individually.

Is this a sensible way forward or would others suggest something different?

Sponsored Links
Yes, for the appliances, a 32A ring will do - if the circuit actually is a circular route.

If not then a 32A radial with 4mm² T&E.

Ring were designed fir all these sockets.

Good to move hob though
And you could make tumble drier a separate cct

Sponsored Links
Many houses have just one ring final for all plug in devices. Its better practice to have a separate ring (or radials) to supply the concentration of higher powered devices in the kitchen/utility.

The please remember that installing new circuits is notifiable work. You really need the services of a registered electrician to carry out this work, and do the paperwork.
It is possible to DIY it, but be prepared to pay the local authority to run a building notice. You would also need to prove to LABC that the work has been designed, installed and tested to BS7671. (got a full set of calibrated test gear?)
Read this for more information.
https://www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:part_p:DIY-Electrical-Work-and-the-Law

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back