Kitchen / dining room opening with concrete lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

This is my frst post here and I'm hoping someone might be able to help me.

I'm having a new kitchen fitted and the current layout is:

That's fine, except that the red bar represents a 2m opening the full width but not the full height of the room, and I was hoping to have a more "one room" appearance. Having seen other local houses and the direction of the joists above the red bar I think this would've originally been a load bearing wall, and it looks like a concrete lintel (140 x 100mm ish) has been used to span the opening. The lintel supports the joists for the rooms above, as well as a breeze block internal wall which would be approximately directly above it.

Does the conctrete lintel seem sufficient for that? If I were to replace this with a steel lintel that can be moved into the ceiling space I gather I'd need to have it inspected / approved by Building Control, is that correct?

Thanks for reading, much appreciated!

Dave

Sponsored Links
If the beam is presently supporting the joists, how do you propose siting the beam within the ceiling space?

You are correct in assuming b.c. will want a squint.

Hi Noseall,

It's been suggesed that it might be possible to use an upside-down T type beam in its place which would sit further up. The joists in the ceiling space would need to be cut and supported during fitting I guess.

Give the relevant difficulty and need for building inspectors I'm thinking it might not be worth it! Of course that's assuming that the current concrete lintel is strong enough.

Thanks for replying

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back