Kitchen down lights - I’ve done something.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all!

Here we go… so we’re fitting a new kitchen. Massive layout change, new ceiling, new doorways. First, I must hold my hands up here; i carefully traced around the existing wiring that was in The ceiling space (once the old plasterboard was down), and I cut out a load of old wiring that was either just hanging around, or unnecessary. It is quite possible that this is where I nobbed it up.

Anyway, I’ve fitted new Down lights (partly fitted, so far). All good - set of 8 4.5W LED’s, wired into the old ceiling rose. I have also fitted new wiring for the switches; they’re all in different places now. All was well. New lights work fine, and I’m crackin on putting the plaster board back up.

Worth mentioning that I’ve also changed the conservatory lights (theyre wall mounted LED things) over to the main downstairs lighting ring. They were previously bodged onto the garage circuit (probs due to ease of access).

Now the other half comes in and switches the lights on in the lounge. My new down lights go dim, and only 2 of the 6 Down lights in the lounge come on. A bit moaning occurs. She then goes into the conservatory and whacks those lights on. Again very dim. I switch my new lights off, conservatory now fine. Lounge lights okay too. She switches hallway lights on, conservatory lights start winking at me.

In summary, it appears I’ve tried to undo a previous owners birds nest and made my life really hard. Or, I’ve been a total twonk and done something stupid (that I can’t figure out).

Please, there must be some clever people out there who can humour me enough to provide some advice? I can’t be overloading the circuit at 4.5W/unit, surely? Although, I could have done by adding the conservatory to the ring as well (but that’s only 3 LEDs too)? Or…. Something else?

Help!

Sponsored Links
Firstly - lights are not usually wired in a ring circuit but a radial circuit, i.e. just one line of cable running from consumer unit to first light then light to light until the last one.
Ring is not another word for circuit.

One can only assume you have wired them incorrectly. Not really possible to offer a cure from here.

From what you say, possibly some are wired in series instead of parallel.

As you say, it won't be an overloaded circuit.

Have a look and see if anything clicks:

It would seem you have mixed up a supply and return which has resulted in lights being wired in series instead of parallel, likely a black wire is not neutral, but you have thought it was, but as @EFLImpudence says not some thing which can be worked out remotely.

Good, thanks fellas. Yes agreed, series instead of parallel seems very possible to me.

(Apols for terminology!)

Fresh head on this morning. Start again I guess. Will report back once I find something.

Really appreciate the help.

Sponsored Links
Yeah there you go. After going to town on the conservatory, found another birds nest of cables and junction boxes. No idea wtf was going on in there. Removed the whole lot and started from scratch. All good now.

However, will wait for the other half to come home and do some load testing :)

Thanks again chaps.

One comment. A handful of 4½watt LED lights isn’t going to overload a lighting circuit.
If you are getting weird things happening then you’ve wired something wrong.
Hope your testing works out ok.

Actually, a second comment. You said that you wired the new lights into the old ceiling rose. A ceiling rose is not suitable for this purpose. You need to use a proper junction box, and a maintenance free one, if the box cannot be easily accessed at a later date.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back