Kitchen Electrics Tripping Even After Everything Unplugged?

You need to fix the damp problem or your wall will crumble

What's the best way to fix that? I'm guessing blasting the hole with an electric heater for an hour won't really do the trick?

There is decking outside and the electrician suspects that it hadn't been sealed properly so water must have seeped through over the years and eventually caused the problem. Maybe I need to seal it along the outside wall with something?

Sponsored Links
Hairdryer may do the trick, until the next time it rains!

You need to fix the problem otherwise , as stated above, the wall itself will crumble - and that's more serrious than the RCD tripping!

I
Hairdryer may do the trick, until the next time it rains!

You need to fix the problem otherwise , as stated above, the wall itself will crumble - and that's more serrious than the RCD tripping!

The electrician suggested that I cut out a fairly large hole from the plasterboard (about 5 to 10 times the size of the double socket) then investigate the problem further before going ahead with the wall repair.

Time to take photos of the wall, the suspect decking & point(s) of entry for water, possibly draw a plan, and take that package to the Building forum for advice. The electrician is quite right - there's no point trying to replace accessories until the root cause of the damp is properly fixed, and that may mean more of the wall coming down.

Sponsored Links
Time to take photos of the wall, the suspect decking & point(s) of entry for water, possibly draw a plan, and take that package to the Building forum for advice. The electrician is quite right - there's no point trying to replace accessories until the root cause of the damp is properly fixed, and that may mean more of the wall coming down.

I will go ahead and do that, thanks. The hose pipe is almost directly opposite the affected socket on the other side of the wall in the garden, I'm guessing this might have something to do with it too. I've just checked the damp again and it seems that the damp area is about 10cm either side of the socket (some of the plasterboard is very weak and crumbling around it).. But the concrete behind the socket doesn't seem damp to the touch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back