rcd keeps tripping nothing plugged in - please help!

IF you go the groping around looking for something but you don't know what you will have a very long frustrating day or three ahead of you.
If you have checked the items mentioned, My advice is still
you need an electrician with an Insulation Resistance tester to trace the problem.

Sponsored Links
& Yes the fault just appeared, I was asleep when it happened, no nails or anything have gone in the wall. The night before all that was on was the TV and the sonos speaker

Sponsored Links
Other than the pump for the central heating are there any pumps? If so that would be my first call.

A pump for the fountain outside, but i've turned that off by the switch. I've double, triple checked all sockets, no obvious leak/dampness, The boiler i have switched off and still trips out, I checked the cables in the garage, no obvious chew or bite marks from the mice! (We have never seen any before)
Looks like its time to get an electrician in, or is there any other last minute tests i can try?

A pump for the fountain outside, but i've turned that off by the switch.
Please try and understand the advice you have been given, above.
I've already told you this, but let us try again......

MOST switches only turn off the live side of the circuit, leaving the neutral connected. An RCD will trip if there is an earth fault to neutral.
To elininate the pump for the fountain, it needs to be completely disconnected, and diosconnected before the cable leaves the house and trails all across the garden, under the path, under the lawn, and over the rockery.

Got anything else out there? Swimming pool, hot, tub, electric gates, landing lights for the helicopter?

Please try and understand the advice you have been given, above.
I've already told you this, but let us try again......

MOST switches only turn off the live side of the circuit, leaving the neutral connected. An RCD will trip if there is an earth fault to neutral.
To elininate the pump for the fountain, it needs to be completely disconnected, and diosconnected before the cable leaves the house and trails all across the garden, under the path, under the lawn, and over the rockery.

Got anything else out there? Swimming pool, hot, tub, electric gates, landing lights for the helicopter?

Its worth repeating stuff to get the message home is it not:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back