Kitchen Extension - U-Value Calculation Floor Area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!
I've got a question regarding calculating the u-value for a new kitchen extension.

I am looking to build a single storey pitched roof extension onto a single storey house.
It will have bi-fold doors and roof lights.

There will be 2 existing windows removed to create the openings to connect to the existing kitchen room, so it will effectively be one single room.

My question is... for the U-Value calculation, can I include the existing kitchen floor area in the total floor area calculation? Or do I only use the extension floor area?

I've attached a plan diagram to explain.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Attachments

• Kitchen Diagram 1.jpg
    Kitchen Diagram 1.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 169
Sponsored Links
If you are having an extension with excess glazing, a SAPS test will allow you to be compliant.

At worst you may have to make some energy efficiency improvements to the existing house, or if you have done any recently, they can be included. Even updating lighting to LEDs would help.

ok great i'll look into that test too.
Would you say then that the existing kitchen floor area can not be included in the total floor area calculation?

In terms of glazing area in the extended part itself, you are normally allowed 25% of the new floor area, + the area of any windows or doors which no longer exist because of the extension. If you can keep within this area, you can use the normal elemental values for the roof, walls and floor.

If you want a larger area of glazing, you can do the 'area-weighted' calcs as described in Part L. What this entails is simply increasing the insulation value of the walls floor and roof to compensate for the loss through the additional glazing.

As a last resort, you can get a SAP calculation done, but these are usually done on spreadsheets and you would probably need to put this to an energy assessor.

Sponsored Links
U value calculation? o_O

Just put 80mm of celotex, 150mm of EPS, or 130mm of Styrofoam in it.

If you are saying that the area of new openings is greater than 25% of the new floor area minus existing openings covered by the new extension, then you need to be doing a SAP calculation instead.

U value calculation? o_O

Just put 80mm of celotex, 150mm of EPS, or 130mm of Styrofoam in it.

If you are saying that the area of new openings is greater than 25% of the new floor area PLUS existing openings covered by the new extension, then you need to be doing a SAP calculation instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back