Kitchen extension ( with pics )

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, a few before and after pics of my recent extension in 2008. Still have lots to do to get finished with the rest of the house but its nice to see progress. Any comments or questions welcome....cheers.

the garden/ jungle when we moved in. Found endless footballs and plant pots in the grass and a 5 man tent still half pitched!
DSC00701.jpg

the site of the extension
DSC00700.jpg

DSC00754.jpg

demolition of the old pre-fab garage.
DSC01423.jpg

DSC01437.jpg

start of the foundations
DSC01529.jpg

drains re-routed and moved old inspection chamber
DSC01582.jpg

new waste pipe run into house. Old kitchen now a shower room with loo.
DSC01583.jpg

DSC01629.jpg

DSC01596.jpg

DSC01606.jpg

brick work flies up once the founds are in
DSC01779.jpg

almost ready for windows and conservatory
DSC01795.jpg

joists going in
DSC01810.jpg

few days of good weather so roof on and conservatory
DSC01812.jpg

internal shot after knock through
DSC01822.jpg

DSC01988.jpg

finally some progress with the walls skimmed
DSC01987.jpg

floor tiles going down
DSC02065.jpg

kitchen going in.
DSC02725.jpg

DSC02654.jpg

DSC02655.jpg

DSC02657.jpg

promised the mrs Id be done by xmas! just made it.

done all the internal fixes myself with the exception of the sparks as needed a part p cert to get it all passed. Still odd bits to finish with the kitchen like tiles and other stuff, but nice to finally be able to cook proper meals. Cheers

Sponsored Links
Very nice job.

I take it the earth rod was relocated (visible in one of the pics)? Concrete aint a very good conductor. ;)

Out of interest, did you concrete over the old block paving for the floor slab?

Thanks steve, yep earth rod was re-located. I had builders in for the founds and brick work, just done the roof myself and all the internal work. From memory the old block paving was broken up and used as back fill. How come you ask?

Sponsored Links
Class Fekarrs........you gave me a laugh mate. I prefer the garage as well, it was the mrs who wanted an extension. Would of saved us a few quid as well!!! :D :D :D :D

Great job. Those floor tiles make it look really classy.

Where did you get them? Are they alright to lay? What do you cut them with? How much are they?

Many thanks

Hi there thanks for you comments

floor tiles from B&Q got them cheaper as they were an end of line. Cost from memory, £8.00 per pack of 6 at 600mm/600mm.

As for putting down....had to use a self level compound first on the floor, all the tiles had to be cleaned and rubbed with a tile impregnating solution before laying them. went down very easily and because of the large size cover the area quickly.

I made sure the floor was very flat and level first so this helped with the laying.

Cut them on a bog standard electric tile cutter....hope this helps??

If your thinking of doing the same???....my advice would be don't lay light tiles in the kitchen. They can look great but take some keeping clean.

Just looking through the site,

What a great looking kitchen I think i need to show my girlfriend what it can look like after all the destruction and building has been completed, its hard to see past the mess and constant dust at times, especially if you are a girl.... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back