Kitchen Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am contemplating an extension to my single storey kitchen, which currently has a flat roof. The extension is to be wall to dado height, or thereabouts, with UPVC windows above, all round (two sides). I have had brief plans drawn by a friend, and understand that approval is unnecessary as the extension is small enough to come within new rules. I am planning to subcontract the work to save on cost, and am not sure how to go about getting what I think should be tubular steelwork frame to support the roof, these will have the UPVC windows fitted inside. Also I am a little concerned on the pitch of the roof as I have limited height to windows of main house. Can anyone point me in the direction of any reference material for these queries please?

Sponsored Links
You dont mention the roof material or structure. If its clear PVC sheets (ie. conservatory), the windows below will support it. If its flat wooden structure with felt, you may get away with this again as above (ask the window manufacturers, technically its not much different to a bay window, in which many support the roof on top).

If its a pitched roof with slates or tiles, you WILL need additional steelwork below to support it. This structural can be clad in PVC so you dont see it, it appears part of the window frame.

you also need to familiarize yourself with the reg's governing glass- floor area restrictions, heat loss reg's and robust structure parameters.

alternatively employ a decent designer or architect and save a lot of hassle toing and froing between building control and the building site.

Thanks to Noseall and Steve for your replies so far. The roof structure is to be pitched with slate to cover both the existing kitchen and the new extension.

Sponsored Links
Hi Redkite
You're getting the priviledge of my first post, so here we go.
First thing you need to be aware of is that while you won't need planning permission - it should be under the overall volume to become permitted development by the sound of things but check this with your local authority - you will need to make a building regs application.
You can do this in two ways - building notice or full plans.
Full plans is the safest method as it will be approved before you start so shouldn't have any nasty surprises later on. You should also be able to get a fixed quote for the work itself that way too.
You don't necessarily need to use a steel frame to support the roof, timber sections may be suitable, a structural engineer should be able to give you a design for a couple of hundred pounds to form part of your building regs application.
Noseall is right that you need to be aware of robust structures and thermal performance. Since Part L of the regs was revised in April '06 this has all become a lot tighter. You will also need to insulate your dwarf walls & roof covering.
A company such as Kingspan or Celotex will be able to do a design & spec for your insulation while also providing you with standard construction detail drawings to support your regs application and also for your builder to use on site. There may be a cost for this so the best way is to go through your local supplier - Travis Perkins or CCF are a good starting point.
While what you plan is a very simple structure, I can't stress enough the benefit of retaining a professional to at least get you through building regs.
It might cost you £700 but I can guarantee that it will save you more than that in terms of time/labour costs at build stage and also eliminate any design errors from a building regs point of view.
Hope this helps. If you want to post some more detail, size, layout etc I could give you a few pointers on construction detail & cost?
Simon

Hello Simoniris,
A big thank you for such a comprehensive reply. It has prompted me to think carefully about what I had thought was a relatively straightforward project.
I would like to take you up on your offer of further help, but not sure how I can post a drawing, can I scan and e-mail to you?

Hi Redkite
You can get in touch with me via the website listed on my profile if you would like me to look at anything specific. Don't worry, in the spirit of the forum I won't try to charge!!
Simon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back