Kitchen Extractor Fan Location - Structural Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm about to have an extractor fan installed in my kitchen. I need to put it through the back wall, as the neighbour doesn't want it extracting into his garden.

Here is a picture of my back wall

I have highlighted in red where I plan to put the extractor fan.

My question is whether this is a reasonable place to put the fan? My main worry is that it would be to too close to the window, and this would cause structural issues.

Is this a concern? What is the minimum distance from the window that the fan can be installed?

Sponsored Links
215mm (or approx. 1 brick-length if it's brickwork below that render) would be OK.

the neighbour doesn't want it extracting into his garden.
Sounds reasonable.

Here is a picture of my back wall
While you're out there sorting out the hole for the fan, you really ought to do something about these areas:

screenshot_25.png

Thanks for the replies.

The fan has a 6 inch duct, so it is well below 215mm.

Here is a photo of a window reveal in the kitchen after we had the old wooden frame removed.

I think it is concrete, not brick. Does that make a difference on the size of the hole I can make into the wall?

While you're out there sorting out the hole for the fan, you really ought to do something about these areas:

That's a good point. I've been meaning to do that for ages. What would you suggest? Would filling it in with mortar be sufficient?

Sponsored Links
Sorry, my camera rotates the images for some reason. It's the side of the window, not the top.

Here is the photo again, but the correctly orientated now.

I didn't click on it - just looked at this, and obviously not closely enough :oops:

214000_213800_78123_56832236_thumb.jpg

To be fair, it was my initial laziness that caused the confusion. I really don't know why camera does that!

Anyway, thanks for the advice. It seems that it should a reasonable place to locate the extractor fan, which is good.

I will also sort out the other holes at the back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back