kitchen extractor hood ducting hose problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

We`re almost finished installing our new kitchen and today with the electrician went to put the extractor hood up and discovered that the 4" ducting hose that goes up into our plasterboard ceiling has come apart, looks like the installer used two lengths of aluminum hose and tried fixing them together with a bit of wire. Now the electrician turned up to install the extractor and the hose fell out of the hole in the plasterboard ceiling. I decided to try and get in from the top by cutting a hole in the plasterboard above the dropped ceiling where it would be hidden but its nigh on impossible and no access from above.

I`m thinking would a smaller hose fed into the original 4" hose in the ceiling work, and get an adapter where it meets the extractor hood? or any other suggestions?
Thanks alot

no the best photo but it shows the hole where the hose use to be, the plasterboard is lowered by about 5" for uplighters above.
//media.diynot.com/103000_102156_57461_26201897_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thats a bloomin' nightmare and a very difficult fix.
Threading a smaller hose into a bigger one and the joint will need to be taped up at least....kitchen smells will certainly escape.
Is there no chance of pulling the remainder of the duct down or alternately using the existing pipe to pull a new one through?
John :)

Thanks for the replies.
Heres a better photo before the ducting hose came off. The duct runs in an L Shape around the left and rear of the kitchen. I also need to move the hose closer to the wall so it may give me some room to get a hand in there from below and from above.

I thinking that perhaps I could get a coupler in there like this to fit onto a new section of hose , looks like it screws in...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Deflect-o-4-Inch-Duct-Coupler-FDC4-STSI-/140411698021

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Thats a bloomin' nightmare and a very difficult fix.
Threading a smaller hose into a bigger one and the joint will need to be taped up at least....kitchen smells will certainly escape.
Is there no chance of pulling the remainder of the duct down or alternately using the existing pipe to pull a new one through?
John :)

It could be done I guess using an electricians mouse to pull in a new hose from the outside. Its actually only about 6ft of aluminum hose above the ceiling near the extractor and then goes into a 110mm soil pipe that runs along the back wall to the outside wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back