Kitchen fitting 10k

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was looking for a reliable builder / kitchen fitter to redo our kitchen.
A colleague has reccomended the one he is using for his own house. So far he is happy with the work but one thing rang alarm bells. My friend was asked to pay in stages. He paid 4k for kitchen and materials at the start and now he is paying 3k about half way through the job.

I understand why the fitter would want the money to purchase kitchen + materials but I would have thought that the rest of the cash should be handed over on completion. Not to sure about this.

Am I wrong?

Sponsored Links
How does the builder pay his mortgage and other bills while the work goes on?

What happens if a customer wants pay most of the money at the end of the job and then does not pay up?

Stage payments are normal

It is not unreasonable to expect to be paid for a weeks work at the end of said week. 3K is about right for a kitchen fitter for a week. :p

Was stage payments agreed?

Looking at the nature of kitchen fitting, the carcasses are fitted prior to any of the expensive finishing products like work-tops, door and drawer fronts, electrical goods etc.

So, the payments need to be agreed in a proportional percentage otherwise a canny shyster will take the cream and a bulk of the money that goes with it, whilst leaving the...er...chaff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back