Kitchen fitting-seal bottom of panels?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it normal to clear-sealant around the bottom of a base end-panel, as it meets the floor? Or would you instead leave a small, 3-5mm gap?

My first kitchen install, pretty proud of tbh, but the two end panels below the Belfast sink have started to soak up spilt water. Now starting to swell and apart from looking unsightly are forcing the units.

In hindsight should I have done one the other of the above from the outset?

Sponsored Links
Silicone is probably the most common way of "mitigating" swelling. Ideally you would silicone all three sides (including under the units). One of my mates uses some kind of adhesive foil after he scribes the end panels to the floor, and then silicones.

One of my mates uses some kind of adhesive foil after he scribes the end panels to the floor, and then silicones.
You can use melamine edging, but that requires an iron and a trimmer (plus a flat edge - not always possible if you've scribed to floor tiling, etc - and it's slow to do), or just apply some self-adhesive aluminium foil tape of the sort used for sealing the joints in PIR insulation - it is waterproof. I've tended to just put a coating of silicone onto the bottom and back edges of these panels then added a bead of clear silicone after installation. I used to do the same on counters in shops and bars in pubs for the same reason (the main structure is generally MF- MDF) - it makes them relatively waterproof

End panels are supposed to be scribed at the top, not the bottom.
Leaving the factory edge ensures years of trouble free usage and avoids use of unsightly silicone.

Sponsored Links
Maybe so, but if you are faced with a floor which has uneven handmade tiles, what then? If silicone sealing is done properly it should be neat (not that everyone doing it can do it properly - I've seen some right old dog's dinners)

End panels are supposed to be scribed at the top, not the bottom.
Leaving the factory edge ensures years of trouble free usage and avoids use of unsightly silicone.
I had trimmed the tops. It seems as though the water has seeped in at the manufacturers sealed edges along the bottom. Obvs once it starts then the gap opens making it easier and easier for water to get in.
I've now run some clear sealant around the 3 edges. Hopefully that should stop it getting any worse.

You can use melamine edging, but that requires an iron and a trimmer (plus a flat edge - not always possible if you've scribed to floor tiling, etc - and it's slow to do), or just apply some self-adhesive aluminium foil tape of the sort used for sealing the joints in PIR insulation - it is waterproof. I've tended to just put a coating of silicone onto the bottom and back edges of these panels then added a bead of clear silicone after installation. I used to do the same on counters in shops and bars in pubs for the same reason (the main structure is generally MF- MDF) - it makes them relatively waterproof
I like the idea if using the tape. I'll be doing that in the future. Thanks.

I had trimmed the tops. It seems as though the water has seeped in at the manufacturers sealed edges along the bottom. Obvs once it starts then the gap opens making it easier and easier for water to get in.
I've now run some clear sealant around the 3 edges. Hopefully that should stop it getting any worse.
Where did you get your end panels?
I've left Howdens offcuts out in the garden as an experiment and 2 years later the factory edge is still sealed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back