kitchen floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Originally, the room which now forms part of my kitchen, had carpet in it.
I used to find that an old leather sofa in that room used to smell musty underneath it and so did the carpet.
We lifted the carpet put down plastic sheeting , then a thin foam layer, then laminate flooring.
Now that we have changed this into a kitchen, we took up the flooring.
In the area underneath the radiator the concrete floor was actually wet.
It was also wet in a couple of areas beside the front wall.
The house is very old and the walls are stone and rubble.
We did get a damp proof course in the walls as told to by mortgage company (since been told its a waste of time in old houses like ours but never mind!!)
I wanted to put tiles on the floor but am wondering what this wetness was?
It is dry now, the floor has been up about one week.
Can any one give me any advice on the floor please?

Sponsored Links
its an old house - this is damp in the floor. because you had a plastic sheet down, the damp stayed there and condensed on the sheet, causing it to be wet through. now its exposed the damp is just evaporating, so the concrete appears dry. you need a DPM laying under the concrete for a permenant fix.

EDIT: Do the rad pipes go into the concrete? If so, check you aren't loosing pressure from the CH system, or that the feed/expansion tank isn't constantly dripping. Might be that you have a leak, not damp.

the radiator pipes do go under the concrete. How do I know if Im losing pressure and have a leak?
I have a combi boiler.
You said damp course under concrete. Does that mean the concrete must come up?
Im sorry, I know I need idiot guide but do appreciate this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back