Kitchen fluorescent light problems!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been having some problems with my kitchen fluorescent light tube for the last couple of months. Keep changing the starter, though it’s cheap but only lasts for few weeks or months, then it only lights at the two edges. changed the bulb as well.

Can anyone tell me what could be the cause?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Have you go the correct size starter?

Are you sure your new lamp was not a duff one?

Have you go the correct size starter?

Are you sure your new lamp was not a duff one?

Last time when changed the starter, when it had a similar problem, it worked for couple of weeks, and now it just lights up the two ends only. Then I tried another bulb but no success. Does starter have to be the right one for it to last for longer? This lasted for couple of weeks only.

The starter needs to be the correct type for the control gear type, tube wattage and supply voltage.

You may find that an incorrect one works for a bit and them fails.

What is written on the starter?

What wattage / length is the tube?

Does the fitting just take one single fluorescent tube?

Sponsored Links
is the tube the right size also? you must have the correct rating tube for the control gear as well as the starter

The starter needs to be the correct type for the control gear type, tube wattage and supply voltage.

Thanks for the reply.

I have to dismantle the light to check that, and I'll get back to you later. yes, it is one single tube.

is the tube the right size also? you must have the correct rating tube for the control gear as well as the starter

yes, the single tube is the right size. Do you think, the fault could be with the ballast? if the starter is correct spec, which I have to check.

Right, I got the specs.

On the starter it says 4-80W / 220-250v

The tube is about 5 feet in length is rated as 'F58 T8/ 3300K'

Hope it helps

Thanks. :)

Well it's the right starter then.

How old is the actual fitting? Is it definately designed to take the newer thin 25mm dia. tubes, and not the old fat 1 1/2" tubes?

Well it's the right starter then.

How old is the actual fitting? Is it definately designed to take the newer thin 25mm dia. tubes, and not the old fat 1 1/2" tubes?

It's about 9 years old. Yes, it's seems to be designed for the slimer tubes. I'll try to get another starter tommorrow.

Yeah it'll be desinged for slim tubes then. They stopped making fittings that take fat ones about 30 years ago.

Here's something to try.

Turn the light on and once the ends of the tube are glowing, turn the starter a quarter turn anti clockwise and see if the tube strikes. If not, try twisting the starter clockwise and then anticlockwise so it is making and breaking the connection a few times.

Let us know if this strikes the tube.

Yeah it'll be desinged for slim tubes then. They stopped making fittings that take fat ones about 30 years ago.

Here's something to try.

Turn the light on and once the ends of the tube are glowing, turn the starter a quarter turn anti clockwise and see if the tube strikes. If not, try twisting the starter clockwise and then anticlockwise so it is making and breaking the connection a few times.

Let us know if this strikes the tube.

It worked! it started to blink and then had reverted back to glowing both edges, then twisting the starter anti-clockwise felt it locked onto something and lit up the whole tube.

I hope it's fixed.

Many thanks for your help, we had to use our lamp shade in the kitchen to eat. Don't know how to thank you. :D

Try turning the switch off now and leave the light off for thirty seconds.

If when you switch the light back on it strikes properly then great, job done.

If not then you do need a new starter, but at least we now know it's nothing more serious than that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back