Kitchen / Garage door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Please advise...

We wish to install French doors between our Kitchen and Garage..
The dividing wall is of breeze blocks (non load bearing)

Questions:

1) Best way of cutting the breeze blocks to make an opening to the door frame size.

2) Tools I need to use?

3) Pitfalls?

I am aware that I will need to raise the Garage floor which is normally lower and install a fire wall behind the Garage door.

Many thanks in advance
Zaf

Sponsored Links
You are aware that you will have to involve building control in this project, and possibly planning control as well (not sure on that one though), I take it?

not being arkward, its just best you are aware of this things first, rather than afterwoods when its too late and its holding up a future house sale...

Sponsored Links
Adam_151 said:
You are aware that you will have to involve building control in this project, and possibly planning control as well (not sure on that one though), I take it?

not being arkward, its just best you are aware of this things first, rather than afterwoods when its too late and its holding up a future house sale...

Thanks for that Adam, I will check with the local council..good luck with training!

adam 151 is correct in saying you will require building regs for a garage conversion.

planning will be required if the use of the space is going to be for,

a. a separate flat.

b. a retail outlet or workshop.

Usage is not going to be a separate flat or retail shop, it's for our own use as utility/TV/playroom, it's purely for ease of access as at the moment the only access is from the front via the garage door. And the new garage width aren't really made for parking a car nowadays!! I can just about squeeze the car in there so we think it will have a better use as utility/TV/ or playroom

Thanks to all for all the replies!

I have checked with building control and I will need to submit an application for alterations and fit a FD30 type (certified) door.

Does anyone know how to fit this type of door? how easy or difficult is this?

so much for your french doors then

the door you refer is a fire door its very heavy

French doors not allowed in a fire risk area! :mad:

Still waiting for anyone who knows how to fit a fire door?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back