Kitchen/Garage wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a bungalow with a kitchen backing onto an integral brick garage with a single leaf brick wall dividing them .

I’m looking to cut a hole in the this wall (with lintel) to take a built-in oven ,freezer and fridge and I’m planning to construct a timber frame housing on the garage side to take these items and to face it with a fire resistant sheeting . (Timber because I’m tight on garage length and timber rather than brick will save me some space).

The question is would this be acceptable from a safety point of view regarding separation in the event of a fire and would I have to submit an application regarding building regulations ?

I appreciate that you will only be in position to provide a comment on this but your input would be helpful.

Peter

Sponsored Links
By a hole, you must mean an actual opening in the wall to recess these appliances into the garage space?

Yes this would require an application - due to the lintel support and not necessarily the replacement section of wall, but it may mean that the whole job is deemed to require approval. It may even be deemed a kitchen extension by some sharped eyed BCO

Use a building notice, no need for plans, but be sure that you or the builder knows what is required

The BCO may also require the whole dividing wall to be insulated [thermally] to current regulations too which may be onerous.

The wall will need to withstand fire for a minimum 1/2 hour. So you will have to either use 12.5mm plaster board and 3mm skim both sides or a fire-resistant board such as supalux or masterboard. and something like 50mm of rockwool within the frame. And intumescent seals to wall edges

Extra insulation will be needed if thermal insulation is required too

And part p for the electrics!

Thanks very much for taking the time to explain the issues in detail and I will take on board all you comments.

Regards Peter Lloyd

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back