Kitchen Grid Switch - replace with chrome/stainless

Two, possibly three issues:
1) There is a valid point of view that as grid switches are not rated at more than (at best) 20A they are not suitable for use on socket circuits which are > 20A, e.g. a 32A ring.
2) If it's a ring circuit then a bank of grid switched appliances will produce a concentrated load at one point on the ring, which might imbalance it.
As you say, both are debatable issues - but, as you also imply, it's a pretty common arrangement.

As for (1), the same could theoretically be said of the switch (albeit {probably} not the terminals) of a switched socket - not to mention the fact that appreciable currents in excess of the load on the socket (limited by plug fuses) should not flow through the material of the terminal. In the OP's case, current though each of the switches is limited by the associated fuse, so the only possible issue is the switch terminals.

Your (2) might occasionally be a theoretical issue, although, as often said, the same would be virtually as true of a row of adjacent sockets or FCUs on a ring. In any event, in the OP's case, the loads in question (fridge, extractor fan and DW) could never overload cable of ≥20A CCC, no matter how close they were to one end of the ring.

As you have implied, I very much doubt that the OP would get anywhere in arguing about the above two issues which, at the very least, are matters of opinion/interpretation.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks for that. Probably not going to start arguing with the builders about something I don't fully understand, risk looking like a bit of a prick.

So, as for replacing this with brushed stainless or chrome item? Any ideas?

Thanks

Ok thanks for that. Probably not going to start arguing with the builders about something I don't fully understand, risk looking like a bit of a p***k.
Fair enough. I actually like them.

Isn't it usual with new-build properties to have a choice of finish for wiring accessories?

So, as for replacing this with brushed stainless or chrome item? Any ideas?
Well, now that you've posted a clear photo...

If you post a clear photo we can tell you the make and model, then you just buy a replacement plate in whatever finish you like.

Watch this space for an ID.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back