Kitchen Hinges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a computer station using MDF, The problem i'm having is 2 of the sections are fiited with doors which conceal the printer and scanner.
I've used standard kitcken type hinges on these doors, but when they are opened at 90 degrees the door does not sit flush with the edge of the cabinet, and the slides out shelves for the printer and scanner hit the door.
Is there a different type of hinge available to let the door sit flush or wll I have to fit a packing piece to allow the shelf runners clearance :( :(

Sponsored Links
JCGRAY said:
Is there a different type of hinge available to let the door sit flush or wll I have to fit a packing piece to allow the shelf runners clearance :( :(
Yes, they are available and they are normally for corner unit. (165 degree)
Series%20200%20-%20corner%20unit%20hinge.jpg

or you can get the same type you're got that open from 110, 120, 135 degree.
As you say you could allow for a packing piece with a narrower shelf.

I have 165 hinges on one of my kitchen cabinets, I just tried it and the door does not clear the side.

Had a look at my bedroom furniture, the wardrobes have built in draw units, they are smaller in width to allow to pass the door.

So would say packing pieces is the way to go.

Sponsored Links
danman said:
I have 165 hinges on one of my kitchen cabinets, I just tried it and the door does not clear the side.
Mine does ! Are you sure yours is 165 degree ?

Most 170 deg hinges still leave half the door thickness protruding over the inside face of the carcasewhen they are opened to 90 deg but will give full clearance if you have the room to swing them all the way open. I use a strip of wood to pack runners on the hinge side in these situations.

http://www.woodfit.com/product_info...ame=Modul+Hinge+170'+Sprung+P/Steel+Screw+Fix

Here's one I did a couple of weeks ago where the wall would stop you using a 170 hinge anyway, I have left the image quite large so the batten shows up.

desk2.gif

Jason

edited to put picture in post

Thanks to everyone who replied, much appreciated.
Nice unit in the photo, Where did you pick up the runners ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back