Kitchen Hob+Cooker wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I`m a bit confused here as i had a few electricians around to quote for the electrics for my kitchen and most of them ( not all ) said that the wiring is not correct to install a electric hob and a single oven. Taking in consideration that the cable from the old cooker is 6mm cable connected to a 40 fuse.
Some say that i will require to change the 6 mm / 40 fuse to a 10mm / 50 fuse and connect both the hob and oven on a single fused spur.
Some say that i can use the 6mm / 40 fuse for the electrical hob and for the single oven just connect to a 13amp fused spur from main ring.

Are any of the above or both of the above correct / wrong ?

The electric hob full power consumption is 6.5kw / 1200 w
The electrical single oven full power consumption 2.7kw / 780 W

Took the above facts from the tech spec of the appliance.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Firstly, you have a cooker circuit that is adequate for any appliances you will buy for a domestic situation.

You may realise that if your hob and oven were attached it would be a cooker.

The situation is slightly complicated by the fact that the oven is supplied with a cable which may be too small for connection to a 40A circuit.
This should be determined by an electrician who knows what he is doing.

You may need a socket or fused connection unit to be connected to the cooker circuit or a larger cable connected to the oven or you may not.

Either way, as said above, both appliances can be connected to the existing circuit.

Basically you could use a Click MODE 45A Easyfit Dual Cooker Outlet Plate. The load you are envisaging is well inside the capabilities of the circuit. If there are any other fusing requirements they can follow the output plate. So the oven could then be supplied via a socket of FCU if the manufacturers instructions require a (e.g.) 13A limit.

Sponsored Links
...Taking in consideration that the cable from the old cooker is 6mm cable connected to a 40 fuse. ... Some say that i will require to change the 6 mm / 40 fuse to a 10mm / 50 fuse and connect both the hob and oven on a single fused spur. ... Some say that i can use the 6mm / 40 fuse for the electrical hob and for the single oven just connect to a 13amp fused spur from main ring. ... Are any of the above or both of the above correct / wrong ?
Both are essentially wrong. What they are proposing would be OK (albeit vast overkill), but totally unnecessary - since the present circuit is more than adequate to supply both your hob and oven.
The electric hob full power consumption is 6.5kw / 1200 w ... The electrical single oven full power consumption 2.7kw / 780 W
That's about 9.2kW peak demand, then. A circuit with a 32A fuse/MCB and 4mm² cable (6mm² with certain installation methods) is adequate for cooking appliance lopds up to a total of about 19kW, so far more than adequate for your needs.

Given their clear lack of understanding, I would suggest that you couldn't trust anything that either of those electricians said or did - so I would suggest that you find one who is competent to do the actual work!

Kind Regards, John

I`m a bit confused here as i had a few electricians around to quote for the electrics for my kitchen and most of them ( not all ) said that the wiring is not correct to install a electric hob and a single oven.

Well most of the alleged electricians you have had quotes from, are wrong! Avoid them and go with one that did not suggest that the cable/fuse was unsuitable to be connected the appliances.
With respect to the rating and load demand.
6.00mm2 T&E can carry a maximum current of 46A (providing no de-ratings are in need of factoring in?)
So 40A fuse is adequate to protect cable.
You have two appliances totalling 9.2kW on full load, which will be bang on 40A at 230V and even less at 240V.
And full load will very likely never be achieved and diversity could always be factored in, so no issues regarding cable sizing and protective device.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back