Kitchen: inspiration for a small space needed pls!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi foks. Just found this useful forum, so here goes...

I'm planning a new kitchen and it's small and awkwardly shaped.

B&Q man has just been round, and here is his suggestion (the base units, anyway. The wall units are easier...)

I'm not entirely happy with it. There's a lot of wasted space (left of the washing machine, between it and the 1000mm unit). I *think* I can squeeze a 150mm unit in, but are there any ideas to use the space better? Particularly where it gets wider at the back. Maybe something like this?

Constraints:

- the position of the boiler and getting access (it faces towards the dining room door) pretty much precludes getting a wall unit on the left wall I think?

- access to the 1000mm unit looks to be pretty tight at the moment

- very narrow gap (523mm according to his plans!) to enter the kitchen. This is why the 500mm drawer unit doesn't start at the doorframe. The units along the left wall are pretty much set in stone to get 2 undercounter appliances in.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I got a thought but you aren't going to like it..

block the outside doorway and put in a window, then cut through the existing window for a new door..

this lets you have a run of base units along the square side, and makes the 1000 unit useable..

any chance of moving the door into the dining room then?

I would swop the sink and washing machine positions , the w/m needs to be moved in and out in a straight line which you don't appear to have space for unless it's placed to the right of the sink.The sink unit would then be larger extending into the empty corner , replace the 1000 unit with a narrow cup'd unit .Replace the draws with a cup'd and single draw [very little use for draws in a kitchen , end up full of tat]or a tower unit then bridge unit or extractor over hob.
You should be able to place an empty cup'd over the boiler and still provide access.

What's the dining room like and the wall in between, what's it made of, is it a supporter?
Would make sense to knock it down and have dining kitchen, you may loose that as wall space but the corner is not friendly.
Is there options like coljack suggested to play with the windows and doors?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestions.

Swapping the door & window isn't an option - I think the pedestrians walking along the pavement outside might be a bit unimpressed!

I had thought of going open plan with the dining room but there are limitations. It's a supporting wall, and there is a floor-level change - not impossible, but those two put me off a bit. I don;t think the result will be worth it

Hasdn't thought of simply moving the door ^. Just moving it to the centre or right of the wall does give a lot more usable space in the kitchen.

And thanks for pointing out the problem with the washing machine. It's in a very similar position at the moment, and it's tight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back